Home | SearchFAQ You are not logged in: Register | Log In

Please Read:
An important message from System 7 Today founder Dan Palka

Topic: Need a new HD for Performa 6400/180 (Page 1 of 1)
  thehackercat (Profile)
  8 MB

Posted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:28 am

Hey y'all:

I recently found a startup disc for my pre-G3 tray-loading iMac. It contained Mac OS 8.6, so I decided to use it to boot up one of my old Performas. When I finally got it running, I used Disk First Aid to verify & repair the HD and it returned a message "Invalid sibling link". So I figure I have directory problems on that disk. The disk itself could be scrambling the filesystem, so using Disk Warrior might not be the best, as the disk would just scramble itself again.

Point being, I need a new hard drive. I plan to do a clean install of Mac OS 8.6 and then downgrade to 7.x.x whenever I can find a boot disk. Where can I go to find information on the hard drive types accepted by this model?

Macintosh Performa 6400/180

Thanks in advance,
thehackercat

24bit (Profile)
  64 MB

Posted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:16 pm

Hello,
I think you can put in virtually every IDE (pATA) disk you can find. New pATA drives are beginning to become expensive unfortunately.
Depending on the type of your drive you may need third party software to low level format or partition it for Macintosh.
FWBs Hardisk Toolkit is said to do this all right.
Apples Drive Setup coming with OS8.6 or higher should work too.
Best wishes!

thehackercat (Profile)
  8 MB

Posted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:56 pm

Hey, great! I can boot from the OS 8.6 disk and use Disk Setup right there. Thanks a lot, I was scared that it was an older type of hard drive or something. Time to do some shopping.

Topic Tools

Start New Topic in this folder.

© 2010 System7Today.com.
The Apple Logo, Macintosh™, Mac OS™, and others property of Apple Computer, Inc.
This site is in no way affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc.