Please Read:
An important message from System 7 Today founder Dan Palka

Topic: Web Browser (Page 1 of 2)
Post ReplyGo to page 1, 2  Next
  iainnitro (Profile)
  32 MB

Posted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:54 am

Hey All:

I just got a hold of a G3 Beige Tower that actually works and I am quite proud that it actually is in great shape (other than I need to find a couple of parts, another post in classifieds covers this).

BTW: I paid a whopping $5 to save it from recycle.

I was wondering if there is a modern web browser for Mac OS (pre X obviously) that would allow me to do my day to day work using this great machine? If there is, please provide a link to the software. Obviously don't mind paying for it as long as it knows the current level of HTML, Java and JavaScript.

What do people use on here if any are browsing the web with their beloved machines at all?

Chefsessel (Profile)
  32 MB

Posted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:06 am

Hey!

Congrats!! A Beige G3 Tower - those are nice machines.

Your browser choices vary with the operating system you are going to use. System 7 (which this forum is dedicated to) is quite limited in terms of web browsing unfortunately. (It has other strengths) Your best choice with OS 7.6 is Netscape 4.8 or iCab 2.99, although the experience is really...um.. not so exciting I would say.

If you are going with OS 8.6 or above, you may use Classilla which is still maintained and regularly updated by the one and only Cameron Kaiser (my personal hero!). I use Classilla quite a lot every day and with the exception of heavy flash & java stuff it performs very well. Take a look here: http://www.classilla.org

Lichen Software (Profile)
  128 MB

Posted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:10 am

You can only go back as far as OS 8.0 with this one.

Bump up to 8.6 or better. Then put on Classilla. That is probably as modern as you are going to get.

http://www.floodgap.com/software/classilla/

iainnitro (Profile)
  32 MB

Posted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:15 am

Thanks for the info. I came to that conclusion as well (the classzilla browser). The tower currently has 9.1 OS on it, but I plan to downgrade it to 8.6 I think. Still want to use System 7.6 and wondered if an old Mac IIfx would run that or not? Don't have one, but I really do pine for the old OS. I have come to Linux as my modern system, but currently don't have 100% access to a "modern computer"... so I want to put my G3 into service for my day to day needs.

This reminds me. I need to find an office product for classic Mac that would read/write office 2003-2007 .doc (not worried about .docx) files?

Thanks for the tips and all that fun!

Mike

Chefsessel (Profile)
  32 MB

Posted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:56 am

Just check out the Macintosh Garden:

http://macintoshgarden.org/

I am using Office 2001 and it works fine with .doc. But you have other options as well. (I think Apple Works was also able to handle .doc files)

There even is a docx converter for OS9 out there, can't remember the name though. Few, but still some projects going on for the Classic Mac OS.

dpaanlka (Profile)
  1024 MB

Posted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:32 pm

Your G3 will not run 7.6.x but your IIfx will. I would try to go for something a little more exciting than that, though. Perhaps a Quadra 840av, if you want a 68k, or a later Power Mac like a 7600, 8600, or 9600. Someone's offering a really nicely equipped 8600 for sale in another thread.

Unfortunately web browsers are just about the only thing missing on Mac OS Classic, you can use old Macs for lots of things non-browser related, however.

Clasilla probably is the best browser for classic Mac OS, but that isn't saying much. Like all browsers for Mac OS 9 and earlier, it still falls into the "tremendous pile of crap" column, IMHO.

I don't even think it's worth Cameron Kaiser's time to keep applying patches to 2003-vintage Mozilla code.

I've pretty much resigned my classic Macs to non-Internet tasks.

My 2

Topic Tools

Start New Topic in this folder.
Go to page 1, 2  Next

© 2010 System7Today.com.
The Apple Logo, Macintosh™, Mac OS™, and others property of Apple Computer, Inc.
This site is in no way affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc.