Home | SearchFAQ You are not logged in: Register | Log In

Please Read:
An important message from System 7 Today founder Dan Palka

Topic: Web Browser (Page 2 of 2)
Post ReplyGo to page Previous  1, 2
  brownguy (Profile)
  4 MB

Posted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:49 pm

The web experience as others have stated does suck compared to a more current OS.

But I've had no problems with either IE 5, Netscapes 3 and 5.

I've Followed the advice here at System 7 Today and installed all the available updates. I have really been impressed at the speed once the browsers load. IE5 loads much quicker than Netscape but both load pages quickly. I've downloaded and installed drivers and updates from several websites and so far no problems. On Netscape 3.0.1 I had to turn off java but it's really quick on my 3400C powerbook.
I do most of my web surfing on sites with minimal graphics. I turn off alot of the eye candy even on our faster and newer Macs on our home network.

On more thing: I almost cried when I installed Sound Jam free. It brought back some great memories from when I first started building my first music libraries. I wish iTunes was so simple!

Dean M.
Sacramento, CA

Dave (Profile)
  4 MB

Posted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:59 pm

Second the opinion that all classic Mac OS browsers are crappy, Classilla is still the best of breed, by far. Classilla hasn't been updated in awhile cause herr Kaiser is busy busy busy with tenfourfox. He promises 9.3 will come soon.

A tad off topic but if you have a newer PPC mac (G3 new world preferably) gathering dust Linux mintPPC is really worth a look at. I am typing away on and ibook g4 with Iceweasel 6 (firefox 6 for debian), I have a fast, up to date operating system and both a modern gecko and webkit (midori) browser. No flash for linuxPPC but I have minitube for youtube, and using download helper addon for Iceweasel I can download mp4 and even .flv files and play them in gnomeplayer or vlc. Install is relatively painless for linux.

Lichen Software (Profile)
  128 MB

Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:22 am

If you want to speed up Netscape 4.8 go to this thread:

http://forums.system7today.com.....php?t=1538

"Out of the box", Netscape is ready for dial up, not high speed. The thread tells you how to change the about:config settings (same is in Firefox and other Mozilla variants))

The thread goes on for awhile as I was experimenting trying to get it to work.

victoral (Profile)
  32 MB

Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:44 pm

Use Clasilla/

Watchsmart (Profile)
  8 MB

Posted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:59 am

Hey, uh, just in case Cameron Kaiser is reading this forum I want to go on record as saying that Classilla is kinda cool. I like it, anyways! Smile

Topic Tools

Start New Topic in this folder.
Go to page Previous  1, 2

© 2010 System7Today.com.
The Apple Logo, Macintosh™, Mac OS™, and others property of Apple Computer, Inc.
This site is in no way affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc.