Home | SearchFAQ You are not logged in: Register | Log In

Please Read:
An important message from System 7 Today founder Dan Palka

Topic: Just finished Fixing an UMAX c500 (Page 1 of 1)
  Cael (Profile)
  8 MB

Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:24 am

my brothers Boss from work asked him to help clean out his garage (even got 20$!) he gave him his Aging UMAX c500 it even had an old Supra 33.6k/bps Modem (god i havent heard that sound in AGES!)

i got it online.. as DialIn provides free dialup for Michigan residents.

the only Issue i encoutered was the SCSI CD-ROM drive was Dead.. wouldnt read my 7.6.1 Disc had to pull the one i had in my Quadra 630CD

but now its working it's my latest addition to my Mac Collection

(i have 2 iMacs (one a 400mhz "DVi" the other an 600mhz "Snow White") my Quadra 630CD, my PowerMacintosh 5500/225 (both the quadra and 630CD have A/V input cards) and now my Umax!

Oddly anyone know Besides ebay where i can get a Cheap spare SCSI CD-Rom for the Umax?

ovalking (Profile)
  32 MB

Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:36 am

Were you trying to boot off that 7.6.1 CD?

I seem to recall you can only boot off Apple CD-ROM drives. That might be why you thought the drive was dead.

I aquired a Umax Pulsar where the drive had been replaced with an Apple one, presumably for a good reason...

Cael (Profile)
  8 MB

Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:11 am

yes but w/ the case removed,, i could see the lil clear plastic part of the drive where you can see it spin. it souoldnt spin a disc at all.. i'd eject and it wouldnt even Look like it moved an inch.

i had to Use my Quadra 630 CD's Drive to boot from it.

Mrgoomba909 (Profile)
  16 MB

Posted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 5:51 pm

Hi, I have the same problem with a c500; yet I don't have an official Apple CD SCSI drive. My disk drive spins however; It doesn't seem to boot from anything in the CD rom drive.

Can someone confirm that This is the case; that you can only boot with an apple scsi drive? I don't want to spend money on something I don't have to.

Thanks.

Topic Tools

Start New Topic in this folder.

© 2010 System7Today.com.
The Apple Logo, Macintosh™, Mac OS™, and others property of Apple Computer, Inc.
This site is in no way affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc.