Home | SearchFAQ You are not logged in: Register | Log In

Please Read:
An important message from System 7 Today founder Dan Palka

Topic: Trouble installing 7.5.3 Performa 6400 (Page 1 of 1)
  olivil (Profile)
  1 MB

Posted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:28 pm

Got ahold of a 6400/180 system today. It has a messy install of 8.5.1 (it boot but it's missing some system files, and it's slow). I tried installing 7.5.3 as downloaded from Apple and made a Disktools2 boot floppy. However the 7.5.3 installer told me I can't install this version on my Mac as it's not recognized... I know I need System Enabler 410 v1.1 (which I do have and it's currently on the Performa). Being my first Classic Mac, I wondered if it was possible to ''add'' the System Enabler to the installer or force the installation (I would manually add the Enabler with the boot floppy)?

Because the only system disks I have are on CD-R (got'em that way) and while they start to boot they fail halfway in. I can also mount them and see the files though I can't copy/execute anything from them (disk failure and/or type 15 error).

Thanks for your time. Smile

24bit (Profile)
  64 MB

Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:28 pm

Hello,
did you manage to boot System7 meanwhile?
Although the 603(e) cpus could use 7.5.3, they needed specially made CDs as far as I recall. What about a retail 7.6 CD from ebay?
If your System CD was damaged, you might try one of the retail images floating around. Given that your CD ROM drive is good, it would be much easier to install from CD, I suppose.
Best wishes!

Topic Tools

Start New Topic in this folder.

© 2010 System7Today.com.
The Apple Logo, Macintosh™, Mac OS™, and others property of Apple Computer, Inc.
This site is in no way affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc.