Home | SearchFAQ You are not logged in: Register | Log In

Please Read:
An important message from System 7 Today founder Dan Palka

Topic: PHP enabled web host software? (Page 1 of 1)
  Yart (Profile)
  4 MB

Posted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:23 am

Hello!

I'm a new Mac user who's got his hands into the classic Mac OSes. I'd like to set up an older Mac as my own personal web server.

Does anyone know of any web server programs that support PHP for System 7 OR up? (I'd install OS 9 even if I had to)

I can't find any definite answers about PHP support anywhere.

Also is it secure/safe to host a website on such an old machine? Not a company website, but my own personal one.

Thanks!

beachycove (Profile)
  16 MB

Posted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:59 pm

No, this is not going to work.

Static html would work best. For scripting, if you wanted to go there, you would typically use Applescript or a third party product, or perhaps the built-in scripts in a FileMaker 4 database served over the web. Hypercard has also been used to script classic Mac webservers, but this may require a little more programming finesse than you want to get into because of the way Hypercard needs to be extended to do such things.

If you wanted to run a reasonably modern webserver on a 68k Mac, your best bet is probably a 68040-based machine and NetBSD, though it will still likely be slow. Beyond that, the powerpc machines beckon and would have much more oomph for running NetBSD or even a bare-bones installation of Debian. There are even dual processor models from 1996-97.

Take a peek here: http://servers.ld8.org/servers.html . Some of the links are dead but enough are alive to show what's possible. A personal favourite is the last one found under the 68030 list, which is running the classic MacOS and that on a little low-end machine from the early 90s. It looks amazingly good.

A webserver running on the classic MacOS is, then, going to be limited; however, it is also inherently secure.

Yart (Profile)
  4 MB

Posted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:19 pm

Ah alright. Thanks!

I'll look into Applescript and those other ones, but on such a limited machine I'll make minimal usage of it.

And yea I really like those example servers. This one in particular in my favourite: http://www.spacerogue.net/Camneerg/index.html

And wow. That Junkstation looks really good. o_o Kinda makes me wonder what the ol' Macintosh Classics I picked up can do now.

I'll experiment when I do get them up and try to push their limits, but I think in the end I'm just gonna host something very basic and simple. It's all I want to host anyways. Just some random small pictures, small <1 MB executable files, and text.

Topic Tools

Start New Topic in this folder.

© 2010 System7Today.com.
The Apple Logo, Macintosh™, Mac OS™, and others property of Apple Computer, Inc.
This site is in no way affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc.