Home | SearchFAQ You are not logged in: Register | Log In

Please Read:
An important message from System 7 Today founder Dan Palka

Topic: Installing system 7 on a B & W G3 (Page 1 of 1)
  superphamicom (Profile)
  4 MB

Posted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:12 am

Hi, I need to have system 7, and specifically the QuickDraw GX extension installed on my blue and white 350mhz G3. It's got the stock OS 8.5 installed currently and cannot technically be downgraded, but I was wondering if it is at all possible?

thanks in advance,

John

wove (Profile)

Posted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:41 am

No version of System 7 will work on a B&W G3. Mac OS 7.6 will not work in any Mac that shipped with a stock G3 processor. If you are looking for the speed of a B&W and still use OS 7.6, you would need to look at installing a cpu upgrade card in one of the machines.

QuickDraw GX is included on the Mac OS 8.5 installer CD, however it is an optional install. If you have the installer you can use it to install QuickDraw GX. QuickDrawGX can also be downloaded from Apple Older Software Downloads.

QuickDraw GX was deprecated when Mac OS 8 was released. The font and layout features continue to work fine up through OS 9, however the printer driver features, and the printer drivers themselves do not work.

It would be interesting to know what plans you have for QuickDraw GX.

bill

superphamicom (Profile)
  4 MB

Posted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:02 pm

Bill thank you for your reply. I would actually require using QuickDraw GX for its printing functionality. I have a Risograph duplicator and I am trying to connect my Mac with it. The driver only works on a QuickDraw GX enabled OS.

I will try downgrading my G3 to OS 8.5, as that is what is on its install disc. We'll see how it goes from there...

superphamicom (Profile)
  4 MB

Posted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:19 am

Ok, so I actually installed QD GX 1.1.3 from that link and now the printer shows up in the Chooser! However, I have the printer itself connected to the G3 via a serial cable-to-USB dongle from Keyspan. I installed the drivers for the dongle but I don't think the G3 is able to make the connection to the printer still.

The Riso shows up on my desktop after being chosen by the Chooser but it is X'ed out. I've tried sending test prints to it to no avail.

Maybe one possible solution is a serial port PCI card?

Any thoughts or advice would be much appreciated.

thanks,

John

wove (Profile)

Posted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:55 pm

Some printers that connect to the Mac serial port are just serial printers, other printers that connect via the serial port are AppleTalk printers.

I am not familiar with your device. If it does print via AppleTalk you will need to make sure your USB/Serial adaptor is compatible with AppleTalk and you will need to make sure that you turn on AppleTalk and route it to the serial port or adaptor.

This is a quote from Apple: "All GX printer drivers require System 7.5.x, or 7.6.x and QuickDraw GX. You cannot use these drivers without QuickDraw GX installed. QuickDraw GX print drivers are not supported with any version of Mac OS beyond 7.6.x, and do not work with Mac OS 8."

If your device requires a GX printer driver, then you will need to use an older machine that supports Mac OS 7.6 or earlier to support it.

bill

superphamicom (Profile)
  4 MB

Posted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:19 am

thanks for your help, bill. Trying to get the Riso to work with Mac OS 8.6 via the serial/USB was a dead end. I ended up buying a different hardware RIP that allowed for an ethernet set up and was compatible with AppleTalk. I hooked it up to my iMac running Leopard, dropped the PPD file in the appropriate folder and voila, everything works perfectly.

But thanks for helping me explore the G3 option. It allowed me to dig up my first mac and seeing it actually work was great and nostalgic. I'll see if I can find a use for it yet!

-John

Topic Tools

Start New Topic in this folder.

© 2010 System7Today.com.
The Apple Logo, Macintosh™, Mac OS™, and others property of Apple Computer, Inc.
This site is in no way affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc.