Home | SearchFAQ You are not logged in: Register | Log In

Please Read:
An important message from System 7 Today founder Dan Palka

Topic: Color Classic Dilemma (Page 1 of 3)
Post ReplyGo to page 1, 2, 3  Next
  edd (Profile)
  8 MB

Posted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:14 am

Hi all,

I've just acquired a 1993 Color Classic with the intention of playing some of my favourite old games on it. However I'm really struggling to get files on to it.

It is running system 7.1. It has no ethernet or networking. The only thing I can attach is via the SCSI port on the back.

I was thinking of getting a ZIP 100 drive, however according to Iomega's site only 7.6+ will read/write ZIP discs. Again, the samr dilemma - I can't access files to upgrade!

So how can I get files on to this thing? I'm out of ideas!

dpaanlka (Profile)
  1024 MB

Posted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:28 am

Oh, you want this.

Afterwards give us another shout and we'll help you along the rest of the way.

dpaanlka (Profile)
  1024 MB

Posted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:32 am

PS getting an external CD drive would probably be a better investment than a ZIP drive.

edd (Profile)
  8 MB

Posted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:47 am

Thanks for the reply. So if I put that in, could I just link my modern iMac (running OSW X 10.7) and the Color Classic with an Ethernet cable?

dpaanlka (Profile)
  1024 MB

Posted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:06 am

Well, there will still be some setup to do, but once you do it, it'll be way convenient to have your Color Classic on your network rather than using ZIP drives or anything like that.

Mac OS Classic and Lion cannot talk to each other directly over AFP anymore - that broke with Snow Leopard. But there are workarounds such as setting up an FTP server on your iMac.

edd (Profile)
  8 MB

Posted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:20 am

Thanks again. Wow this is proving way more difficult than I thought. It seems ZIPs are out as apparently OS X can't read/write Mac Classic formatted discs anyway. So even if I got the drive working on my Color Classic, I have no way of getting the files on to a disc!

The ethernet/networking sounds quite painful. I'm not a networking guru by any means. So is maybe a SCSI CD Rom the best bet? Will that be plug and play on the Color Classic, or does that need drivers to read CDs too?

Topic Tools

Start New Topic in this folder.
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

© 2010 System7Today.com.
The Apple Logo, Macintosh™, Mac OS™, and others property of Apple Computer, Inc.
This site is in no way affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc.