Home | SearchFAQ You are not logged in: Register | Log In

Please Read:
An important message from System 7 Today founder Dan Palka

Topic: Color Classic Dilemma (Page 3 of 3)
Post ReplyGo to page Previous  1, 2, 3
  edd (Profile)
  8 MB

Posted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:56 pm

OK 2 hours down and I'm completely stuck. There's so many things that 'could' explain it not working, I'm not sure where to start!

1) When simply trying to copy the CD Rom installer from the floppy to the Mac, it was behaving weirdly. Copying the file to the HD just seemed to create a short cut to it - but then if I deleted the alias, it deleted the file off the floppy too! How on earth do you move.copy files in System 7?

2) I did eventually manage to get the file on the computer (I think) It said to copy the file (extension) to my Extensions folder - but there was no extensions folder in System. Should there be? I created one and put the file in there. No idea wether it is picking it up or not - aren't extensions supposed to appear in the bottom left corner when you boot? It still only shows the same 2 as before (no idea what they are.)

3) The CD Rom definitely does something when I restart the Mac, the light flashes duting boot up. But no disc mounts in the finder.

4) I burned the files on to a CD-R using Toast 10, HFS format. Burn speed of x4. Should be OK right?

5) The external CD Rom itself (Lacie) has all kinds of things on the back - 2 SCSI ports, termination on/off, and a slider from 1 to 6. No idea what any of it does, again could the combination of buttons/ports be the problem?

Anybody know what could be up?

edd (Profile)
  8 MB

Posted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:48 pm

Finally, got it working! Smile

It turns out that my 7.2 install seems rather messed up. I found my Extensions, Preferences etc folder inside the Microsoft Word Folder. So it looks like whoever owned this before accidentally moved a load of stuff around.

Think I should do a clean install now. Will me Color Classic (10mb RAM) handle 7.5.3 and still be able to play games?

24bit (Profile)
  64 MB

Posted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:48 pm

My 68k 7.5.3 is up and running with about 3MB.
If you have enough free HDD space, you might consider to partition it for 7.6.1 and 7.1, so you may get the most out of it.
Maybe you can find an old Windy system as intermediate?
I once rescued a ASUS PIII with SCSI, ethernet, USB-2 (and floppy drive of course) from e-recycling.

Chefsessel (Profile)
  32 MB

Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:53 am

Just out of curiosity: Has anyone ever tried to put a Solid State Drive into a Color Classic? The SSDs should really speed up things if you can get them to work, shouldn't they?

edd (Profile)
  8 MB

Posted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:49 am

No and a solid state drive would be overkill space/cost wise. however I did put a 4GB CF card in my old Amiga using a custom IDE adapter, and that was pretty much the same as having an SSD drive. Very fast boot up Smile

Topic Tools

Start New Topic in this folder.
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

© 2010 System7Today.com.
The Apple Logo, Macintosh™, Mac OS™, and others property of Apple Computer, Inc.
This site is in no way affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc.