Home | SearchFAQ You are not logged in: Register | Log In

Please Read:
An important message from System 7 Today founder Dan Palka

Topic: Color Classic Dilemma (Page 2 of 3)
Post ReplyGo to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
  24bit (Profile)
  64 MB

Posted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:19 am

I would vote for ethernet...

CD ROM drivers were not included with 7.1, if I recall right. Apple shipped their CD300s with a floppy and drivers on it therefore. CD drivers from 7.5 could make use of many different drives. The drivers should work with 7.1 too.

FWBs CD ROM Toolkit offered connectivity for some third party drives, but it was hit and miss, mostly.

dpaanlka (Profile)
  1024 MB

Posted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:29 am

You'll probably want both an external CD drive and the ethernet card. Forget about ZIP.

You'll need a CD drive to install 7.6.x anyway, and from there you can install all sorts of more modern-ish networking and internet tools that will allow you to download games and do whatever.

7.1 is going to be very limiting, but you can still do it with some effort on your part.

beachycove (Profile)
  16 MB

Posted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:39 am

Couple of thoughts:

1. Installation of 7.6.1 on a stock Color Classic is a BAD idea. Think slow, and then think slower, and then think almost stopped, and you'll get the general idea. Even 7.1 is painfully slow on the thing. You can speed it up by installing an LC520, 550 or 575 logic board in the machine. Note that each solution requires a different software hack, some easier than others but all very do-able even for a rank beginner.

2. I don't know about the idea that OSX cannot read a zip drive formatted by the classic Mac OS. What version of X are we talking about?

3. A CD drive is probably a good idea, though note that some burned CDs are unreadable in older machines without some software savvy. Another potential solution would be to source an intermediate machine to bridge between the two machines you already own: for instance, a beige 604e-based Mac or a beige G3 running 9.1, either with a USB PCI card installed, would let you copy via USB disk and floppy between the machines.

edd (Profile)
  8 MB

Posted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:37 am

Thanks for all the info. To answer some of your questions:

1) My Color Classic has 10mb RAM. Would that still be too slow to run 7.5+?

2) I'm running 10.7 Leopard on my 'new' Mac. I've read that OS X can only read Mac Classic zip disks, and CANNOT write to them. Can anyone confirm?

3) I believe CDs need to be HFS formatted to be read in Classic. But all OS X sofwtware I've tried (Toast, Disk Utility) cannot do this format any more.

I'm leaning towards the network card then. Assuming I buy that new one on ebay that comes with the software disk, should I just be able to plug the card in, install the software on the disk and then plug a modern ethernet cable into it, and it will work?

Thanks.

edd (Profile)
  8 MB

Posted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:59 am

Update.

I have managed to acquirea SCSI CD Rom drive from a friend Smile So my next question is, will the driver from thwe top of this page work on 7.1?

http://www.macdrivermuseum.net/disk.html

Hopefully then all I'll need to do is figure out how to burn HFS CDs on OS X Lion.

theos911 (Profile)
  8 MB

Posted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:23 pm

1) 8MB is about the bare minimum for 7.5 + applications. 10 should be OK, but don't expect to run a web browser or anything like that.

2) 10.6 and above can read hfs (not talking about hfs+) , but will not write to it. I can confirm this as I am on a 10.6.8 iMac at school atm and it will not write to my hfs thumb drive.

3) Idk about format, but... You need to be careful about media as well. My PDQ's CD drive will only read CD-R. It won't read CD-RW even if burned on another Mac OS 9 machine. I found this out when trying to make Debian CDs.

Sheepshaver has CD drivers for Windows, they might have them for OS X. If so, you can give control of your optical drive to SheepShaver and format with OS 9.

Topic Tools

Start New Topic in this folder.
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

© 2010 System7Today.com.
The Apple Logo, Macintosh™, Mac OS™, and others property of Apple Computer, Inc.
This site is in no way affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc.