Home | SearchFAQ You are not logged in: Register | Log In

Please Read:
An important message from System 7 Today founder Dan Palka

Topic: 7.5.3 Installation Failed (Page 1 of 2)
Post ReplyGo to page 1, 2  Next
  edd (Profile)
  8 MB

Posted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:42 am

As you may have seen in the hardware forum, I got myself a Color Classic running 7.1, and found it a real nightmare to hook up my CD Drive as the system folder was a mess (previous owner.)

I finally managed to get the CD extension working, so the first thing I wanted to do was a clean install of 7.5.3. I downloaded the files from Apple, made sure there was plenty of free disk space (80mb HD) and then started the clean installation.

It stalled on "copying fonts to fonts folder" for over an hour, so I gave up and powered off. I realiase this is a No No with any OS installation, but it wouldn't cancel and had basically crashed.

Anyway now I'm greeted with the flashing floppy on boot. I tried to make a boot disk on OS X using terminal (both network floppy and disktools) and it won't read either of them. The disks I made seem fine to me - they show up as Mac OS Standard in Disk Utility, and have the correct files on them. I made them from image files.

So now I'm stuck. I'm hoping I can somehow boot the machine, and then simply rename my old system folder and delete the half installed new one. Will this work?

And how can I get to this stage if my floppies aren't working? Is there a bootable 7.5.3 CD image anywhere?

Any help appreciated, as I currently have a 'bricked' Color Classic Sad

edd (Profile)
  8 MB

Posted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:44 am

By the way, my Color Classic has 10mb RAM so from what I've read should handle 7.5.3 just fine. So I'm stumped as to why the installation falied in the first place.

edd (Profile)
  8 MB

Posted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:31 pm

Never mind - second time lucky. Looks like the floppy I used originally had bad sectors, the second attempt on a new disk booted fine. 7.5.3 went on flawlessly (and quickly) at the second attempt. I'm impressed at how quick 7.5.3 is compared to 7.1, it seems much faster! And looks significantly more modern too.

edd (Profile)
  8 MB

Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:58 am

I'm still very confused by the way System 7 handles moving/coyping files. Please can someone explain it to me? For example, sometimes if I move an item from a floppy disk to my desktop (meaning I obviously want to copy it to the desktop) it moves it from the disk, yet is still on the disk as if I eject it, the file disappears.

And also quite a few installers I've found ask me to insert disks during installation even though I have all the files on a CD/folder.

dpaanlka (Profile)
  1024 MB

Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:12 am

Every drive has it's own hidden desktop folder, the contents of all of which appear on the desktop. When you move a file from a floppy to the desktop, you're just moving it to the floppy's desktop folder, not the Mac's. If you drag a file from a CD to the desktop, it'll copy to your system volume because obviously the CD is read-only.

Copying installation files from a floppy disk image to a CD isn't useful because most installers check for a floppy with such-and-such name.

edd (Profile)
  8 MB

Posted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:57 am

OK thanks. So basically there's no way to move an installer that works to the HD/CD? That makes quite a few things I've downloaded useless as it seems unless you 'burn' an original disk image to a disk, it doesn't accept a disk that just has the same name anyway. So I'm slightly puzzled as to why people upload app files if they're no use!

Topic Tools

Start New Topic in this folder.
Go to page 1, 2  Next

© 2010 System7Today.com.
The Apple Logo, Macintosh™, Mac OS™, and others property of Apple Computer, Inc.
This site is in no way affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc.