Home | SearchFAQ You are not logged in: Register | Log In

Please Read:
An important message from System 7 Today founder Dan Palka

Topic: Powerbook 540c white screen (Page 1 of 1)
  Dimitris1980 (Profile)
  32 MB

Posted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:51 pm

A friend of mine gave me a powerbook 540c and he didn't know if it works because he needed batteries and power adapter. So i bought these items from ebay. I tested the powerbook and it ran just fine. Mac Os 8.1 is installed and it has 36 mb ram. Then i went to put my little daughter to sleep and when i came back i saw just a white screen. Nothing else but the hard disk seems to run correctly. I turned off the machine with the power key and then i turned it on again but all i can see is a white screen. What can i do?

victoral (Profile)
  32 MB

Posted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:08 pm

I'm no expert, but it seams your graphics card died. Or just might be a power management problem. But you have to remember this laptop is 17 years old, I'd recommend, if your up for it, opening the laptop and disconnecting and reconnecting the display ribbons.

brownguy (Profile)
  4 MB

Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:02 pm

I had the same issue with my 540C. The ribbon unplug trick worked for me.

Good luck...I love the 540c Powerbook!

Dimitris1980 (Profile)
  32 MB

Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:39 pm

I disassembled the display panel, the cables and then i connected them again but nothing. Also i found a cable and i connected the Powerbook to an external display but nothing on the screen except the background theme.

aaronandshag (Profile)
  4 MB

Posted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:43 pm

Have you done a PRAM set? That worked for me a while ago. Look it up.

reukiodo (Profile)
  16 MB

Posted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 3:40 am

This issue happens every now and then on my 520c. If I flex (twist?) the display a bit (not too much!) while it is off, it usually restores back to normal on the next boot.

Topic Tools

Start New Topic in this folder.

© 2010 System7Today.com.
The Apple Logo, Macintosh™, Mac OS™, and others property of Apple Computer, Inc.
This site is in no way affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc.