Home | SearchFAQ You are not logged in: Register | Log In

Please Read:
An important message from System 7 Today founder Dan Palka

Topic: 7.6.1 vs 8 Why Faster ? (Page 1 of 1)
  ratboy (Profile)
  4 MB

Posted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 11:15 am

I have a 8600 with 200 604e. Even with os 9 it seems to be as fast or faster than some of my newer macs. I thought 8 was made specifically for powerpc vs 68k machines. Does the 7.6.1 have an upgrade for native ppc code vs emulation or is it faster due to it's smaller footprint?

dpaanlka (Profile)
  1024 MB

Posted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 1:08 pm

http://main.system7today.com/benchmarks.html

You are correct about the 68k thing. Mac OS 7.6.1 actually contained the most PowerPC native code of any version previous to it, but there was still much 68k code. There are two very important extensions to the system that you should install. One is free, and is called LibMoto Sh which is a PowerPC math library that speeds up applications including Photoshop and stuff on your PowerPC Mac - this was included with Mac OS starting at 8.1 but can be installed into 7.6.1 and is included on this site.

The other is SpeedDoubler 8 - which I want to post to download but legally can't. It greatly enhances the 68k emulation built into the Mac OS so that 68k software runs closer to the speed of PowerPC processors.

This in combination with how light Mac OS 7 is (especially in the GUI, booting, and ram useage areas) make the system overall perform faster than Mac OS 8 and 9.

ratboy (Profile)
  4 MB

Posted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 10:26 pm

Thanks for the Info. I have used lib moto and speed doubler before. Ram doubler helped on my machines that were limited in memory slots.

AlphaKilo470 (Profile)
  32 MB

Posted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 11:37 pm

What software did you use for the benchmarks? Also, I noticed that the computers you had benchmarked were both NuBus based computers. I don't know how much difference there'd be but do you think you'd be able to provide benchmarks for PCI based Macs sometime because I'm not only curious to see if that will affect end results but also I'm curious as to the actual numbers that PCI would have over NuBus.

dpaanlka (Profile)
  1024 MB

Posted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 3:53 am

Various things were used in the benchmarks, it wasn't just a suite of benchmark programs. A lot of it was a timer in my hand and the averages of several tries. I don't recall all of what it was, as it was a long time ago, and I'm really meaning to do it again - yes on a PCI 8600.

Topic Tools

Start New Topic in this folder.

© 2010 System7Today.com.
The Apple Logo, Macintosh™, Mac OS™, and others property of Apple Computer, Inc.
This site is in no way affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc.