Please Read:
An important message from System 7 Today founder Dan Palka

Topic: Mac IIci Questions (Page 1 of 2)
Post ReplyGo to page 1, 2  Next
  iainnitro (Profile)
  32 MB

Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:50 am

Hey All:

I found a power supply for my poor old Mac IIci and so as of Monday(Jan 23, 2012) I will have the old girl up and running.

I was curious about two things. 1) Are the video cards(nubus) that work in the IIfx and others the same ilk for the IIci? What is a good one to seek and where might I find it?

2) I need to get a CD-ROM external connected to the unit and I have a Apple 300 external SCSI case, the drive has long since been removed. I have a Yamaha CDRW 10x and wondered if it is possible to get the IIci to boot off the 3rd party drive and if so, what do I need to do to get it to do it.

Also actually going to have to find a SCSI cable and maybe terminator... I think the Yamaha has termination on board and it is currently enabled if I read the documentation correctly.

I suppose, otherwise, I am interested in finding like an Apple 600 CD-ROM unit (not external) to put into my case Smile

Thanks for any help on this and indeed for anything else that you guys have helped with since I became a member of this community!

Hope everyone's new year is off to a good start!

mac2geezer (Profile)
  64 MB

Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:57 pm

As far as I know, any of the Nubus cards that work in the Mac II or IIfx should work. A good one, if you can find one, is the Apple 8-24GC. The only one I've seen on eBay recently was in Australia so shipping was pretty steep.

I've never tried booting my IIfx from the external CD drive so don't know if that would work. It does boot just fine from an external HD, however.

Good luck with your video card search.

Tom

Lichen Software (Profile)
  128 MB

Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:34 am

A caution on nubus cards. I can't find anything right now, but if I remember correctly in my way back machine, the IIfx had a deeper body and some nubus cards for the fx would not fit in the IIci as they were too long.

Perhaps someone with a better memory could be really clear for you.

iainnitro (Profile)
  32 MB

Posted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:51 pm

Hey Guys and thanks for the responses.

I am running into a new problem with my IIci now that she is supposedly healthy again. I can hear her boot and the hard drive is accessing, but since I am lacking a proper Apple monitor, I tried to hook up to a VGA monitor (actually 2 different ones) using all three of the different Mac to VGA adapters I have. Neither of my monitors will sync to the IIci. I get diagonal lines. If memory serves, this is because my monitors are not multisync most likely. I am using the on-board video as I have not yet found a video card for my IIci.

The one monitor I have that I tried first was an old VGA as in max resolution is 640x480, though on the PC it is hooked up to normally, it may be 800x600, but certainly no more than the latter.

The other monitor I have is technically a VGA monitor but is a Commodore 1924 which was for the Amiga.

Anyhow, this means that I am looking for a good video card or a good multisync or Apple monitor of the IIci era. The video card is not a problem if someone wants to sell it to me and all with shipping, though currently the budget is extremely tight. PM me if you can help there.

Otherwise, on the monitor front, if there is someone who lives here in Kansas or in the KC metro area that has a monitor, I may be able to pick it up depending. I feel shipping on a monitor may be too prohibitive to consider, but welcome PM if someone wants or can help that way too.

Otherwise -- Suggestions please!

wove (Profile)

Posted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:36 am

The built in video on the Mac ci and the Mac si have sync on green and can not drive a VGA monitor at all.

Just about any Nubus video card should work fine. You might wish to do a bit of research before purchasing. There were cards where it took a later revision card to work with anything beyond System 7.0.

bill

iainnitro (Profile)
  32 MB

Posted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:34 pm

Thanks for the reply wove! Yeah I seem to remember the sync on green thing. Silicon Graphics monitors and systems (which I had a couple) used the same kind of fixed frequency sync on green technology. Though the connectors on the SGI were the 13W3 type.

I have found a loaner from a friend and confirmed that I needed the Macintosh Color Display M1212 to get my IIci to run. So I can at least work with the machine until I find my monitor and/or video card.

I am hoping someone here has the monitor they'd sell. I suppose I should post my want in the proper section here... so I will do that as well. But did want everyone to know that I did find out that my IIci does function!!!!

Topic Tools

Start New Topic in this folder.
Go to page 1, 2  Next

© 2010 System7Today.com.
The Apple Logo, Macintosh™, Mac OS™, and others property of Apple Computer, Inc.
This site is in no way affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc.