Home | SearchFAQ You are not logged in: Register | Log In

Please Read:
An important message from System 7 Today founder Dan Palka

Topic: Word 5.1 forward compatibility (Page 1 of 1)
  aftermac (Profile)
  8 MB

Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:39 pm

Everyone talks about newer versions of Word being able to open 5.1 documents, but is Word 5.1 capable of opening documents from newer versions of Word (98, 2001, 2004, 2008, 2011)? Obviously, there will be features in newer versions that 5.1 can't handle (and .docx), but what about basic text documents?

cballeron (Profile)
  16 MB

Posted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 4:54 pm

Yes AfterMac, there is!

The plug-in is called Word 97-98 Import and it lets both Word 5.1 and 6 to open Word '97 and '98 .doc files.

Here is the download link at Microsoft:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=18793

As you mentioned, it won't be compatible with new features, but it'll do a pretty good job in a pinch.

Sorry I didn't catch this much sooner! Hopefully it'll help some folks out in the future.. Smile

cballeron (Profile)
  16 MB

Posted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 8:33 pm

I also remembered another converter that is very effective in docx to doc formats:

http://www.panergy-software.com/buy/download.html

Here is rub with this converter; it only supports MacOS 9. To get around this limitation, I have personally networked System 7 and 9 Macs, used VNC to remote access the converter on the OS9 Mac and placed the converted file on a shared folder. Once converted, the Word 97-98 import within Word 5.1 from my last post to open the converted .doc file.

The respective converter for Windows or OS X can be used to convert your .docx files and then transfer your converted documents to the System 7 Mac using similar methods as outlined above. I have successfully installed file web servers to access files on Windows and OSX.

Topic Tools

Start New Topic in this folder.

© 2010 System7Today.com.
The Apple Logo, Macintosh™, Mac OS™, and others property of Apple Computer, Inc.
This site is in no way affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc.