Home | SearchFAQ You are not logged in: Register | Log In

Please Read:
An important message from System 7 Today founder Dan Palka

Topic: Hello! Mac OS 7.1/7.6 & WIFI Question (Page 1 of 1)
  powerusin (Profile)
  1 MB

Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:36 pm

super quick question,
i'm new to the site,
I wonder why system 7.6, 7.1 is not considered free, Anyone know? Thanks, Love the site, great resource!

Also i ordered a few of those Silver Orinoco PCMCIA Adaptors,
is there a trick to getting them to work? looks like all they support is WEP 64 bitů
I Saw the software on this site, installed it dosen't seem to work very well however the Mac OS 9 version does seem to work with a newer powerbook i am using.

Thanks

Dave (Profile)
  4 MB

Posted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:32 pm

Mac OS 7.6.1, while donkey's years old,
is still the property of Apple Computer.
7.5 is free to download (or at least it was),
but newer OS are still not available for free.

There is Macintosh Garden, and the concept of
"abandonware", ie, if its so old that no one sells it or
supports it, it's fair game. That is a dubious concept at best, but doesn't stop many from downloading free classic Mac OS software at will. When the site is up, which often it is not.

On a only somewhat related rant: All the classic mac os would need to be truly useful is a modern web browser. Classilla is ok....but not really modern unless you stick exclusively to mobile sites, which is limiting. If BeOS and windows 2000 still has some decent browser choices, why can't we?

passthejoe (Profile)
  8 MB

Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:53 pm

I have successfully used the Orinoco WaveLAN Silver card in System 7.6.1 on a PowerBook 1400cs. There is System 7-specific software floating around out there, if I remember correctly that you can use to make it work.

I'm not sure if WEP works at all. I never used it. But the card does work for regular 802.11 WiFi.

Here is one how-to page:

http://retro-net.org/~tachyon/.....velan.html

Here's where you can get the driver:

http://download.cnet.com/WaveL.....-4839.html

Topic Tools

Start New Topic in this folder.

© 2010 System7Today.com.
The Apple Logo, Macintosh™, Mac OS™, and others property of Apple Computer, Inc.
This site is in no way affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc.