Home | SearchFAQ You are not logged in: Register | Log In

Please Read:
An important message from System 7 Today founder Dan Palka

Topic: Hypercard - is there a modern equivalent (Page 1 of 2)
Post ReplyGo to page 1, 2  Next
  rlawson (Profile)
  64 MB

Posted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:29 am

I love Hypercard! I am a professional programmer so I know how tough it is to produce good software(both back in Hypercard's time as well as now).

So my question is what would be the equivalent today to Hypercard? Some would say html and javascript but I think that still requires too much upfront knowledge for the average user. Is it even possible to have an equivalent given today's proliferation of operating systems and hardware. Maybe Hypercard's popularity was partly due to the consistency of the systems it ran on.

Lichen Software (Profile)
  128 MB

Posted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:16 am

I believe that the direct decendant was Runtime Revolution, now known as LiveCode. the site is at www.runrev.com.

I haven't used it. A quick look at the site indicates it runs on a lot of different platforms

rlawson (Profile)
  64 MB

Posted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:38 pm

Downloading and trying it now - thanks for the link

dpaanlka (Profile)
  1024 MB

Posted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:24 pm

REAL Studio has grown to be extremely robust these days, far far more so than it ever was under Classic (which is one reason they changed the name from REALBasic, to disassociate from BASIC). I use it for software development myself, it can also be used for web app development now too.

http://www.realsoftware.com/realstudio/

rlawson (Profile)
  64 MB

Posted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:24 pm

Ok great, let me go check it out. It was a good product as RealBasic, they had better OO features than VB for sure. So if they have improved then even better.

rlawson (Profile)
  64 MB

Posted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:34 am

Ok I tried both and verdict is I like RealStudio better, but I think that a hobbyist or casual programmer may like runrev better. Both are really nice products though.

Topic Tools

Start New Topic in this folder.
Go to page 1, 2  Next

© 2010 System7Today.com.
The Apple Logo, Macintosh™, Mac OS™, and others property of Apple Computer, Inc.
This site is in no way affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc.