Home | SearchFAQ You are not logged in: Register | Log In

Please Read:
An important message from System 7 Today founder Dan Palka

Topic: USB Storage for Performa 6400 (Page 1 of 1)
  thehackercat (Profile)
  8 MB

Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:37 pm

Hello! After restoring a PowerPC Performa 6400 to health with the installation of a new hard drive, I am now concerned with data transfer methods. The current state of my home network makes LAN or direct connection impossible. I was wondering if this machine would accept USB mass storage.

I have empty PCI slots. Are there cards out there that could add USB ports in this way? I'm sure that the OS would accept drivers (Currently, it's 8.6. I loaded the OS from my old iMac boot disc).

Could anyone chime in on this? Anyone done something like it before? Thanks!

-thehackercat

rlawson (Profile)
  64 MB

Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:57 pm

yeah from reading the forums I don't think USB will fly on this mac. Better off getting a zip drive if you absolutely can't get on the network.

Lichen Software (Profile)
  128 MB

Posted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:00 am

The classic OS's will only do USB 1. A generic USB card that supports USB1 should work if you are using a high enough operating system. I am guessing 8.6 would be a minimum. The trick may be finding storage that will work on USB 1. It has been a long time since USB 2 came out.

thehackercat (Profile)
  8 MB

Posted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:33 am

I thought each successive version of USB was supposed to be backward-compatible with the last. Is this not true?

cr2032 (Profile)
  64 MB

Posted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:22 am

OS8.6 should be supporting USB as it has been included in the first generation iMac G3.

Topic Tools

Start New Topic in this folder.

© 2010 System7Today.com.
The Apple Logo, Macintosh™, Mac OS™, and others property of Apple Computer, Inc.
This site is in no way affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc.