Home | SearchFAQ You are not logged in: Register | Log In

Please Read:
An important message from System 7 Today founder Dan Palka

Topic: Networking a Mac Classic (OS7) with OSX (Page 1 of 1)
  louiscox (Profile)
  1 MB

Posted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:37 am

Ive got a brand new iMac and a Macintosh Classic Id like to network to the iMac.

My problem is Im based in the U.K. and buying items from the U.S. is prohibitively expensive and fraught with difficulty due to customs.

Im really looking for an external ethernet box be it appletalk / scsi adapter thats available in Europe.

Spending a load of money - i.e. over £50 or about $80 is out. Its got to be cheap.

Any help would be much appreciated.

gsteemso (Profile)
  8 MB

Posted: Sat May 25, 2013 11:29 pm

First option, find a SCSI to Ethernet bridge. Several were made back in the day. Second option, find a LocalTalk to Ethernet bridge. Third option, string a telephone patch cable between their modems (youíd need to add an external modem to at least the Classic) and do some trickery with the modem initialization strings. That one probably limits you to old protocols like Kermit and is not terribly reliable or user-friendly, though I did get it to work once.

I'm not sure how well the second option (LocalTalk to Ethernet bridge) would actually work with a reasonably current-model Mac ó I donít know if there are any such bridges that work with any flavour of TCP/IP, which is needed to talk to a modern Mac because the last several versions of Mac OS X no longer support AppleTalk.

So, bottom line, the easiest answer is a SCSI Ethernet interface. Youíre on your own with brand recommendations, though ó Iím a Canuck in the northwestern United States and have no clue whatís available Over There.

Topic Tools

Start New Topic in this folder.

© 2010 System7Today.com.
The Apple Logo, Macintosh™, Mac OS™, and others property of Apple Computer, Inc.
This site is in no way affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc.