Home | SearchFAQ You are not logged in: Register | Log In

Please Read:
An important message from System 7 Today founder Dan Palka

Topic: Install 7.6.(1) on Kansas PowerMac (Page 1 of 1)
  trag (Profile)
  4 MB

Posted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:55 pm

The earliest system the Kansas PowerMacs support is 7.6.1. However, all my 7.6 installers install 7.6 and then update to 7.6.1 using the updater.

But the 7.6 installer won't run on a Kansas machine because it's not supported, even though I'm not going to boot from the drive, until after I run the updater. Silly Apple.

Anyone know of a work around, without digging out another older machine to use to install 7.6?

wove (Profile)

Posted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:18 pm

I think it is worse than you imagine. The Kansas PowerMacs were strange odd machines. Mine would not install even using the 7.6.1 disk. The only way I could install 7.6.1 on it was to use the CD that came with the machine.

bill

trag (Profile)
  4 MB

Posted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:44 pm

Ah, nuts. I had 7.6.1 on this machine before, but I lost a couple of hard drives in a striped array last year and that took out my 7.6.1 volume too. I can only assume I created it before this machine had a Kansas logic board.

It ran fine though, before the great hard drive failure of 2011.

It's actually a cheap PC tower case in which I've used various logic boards.

So I guess I'll have to dig out an older machine on which to run the installer. Hmmmm. Or I could just let Retrospect do it's thing. I'm sure I backed the 7.6.1 volume up to tape at some point. I hadn't thought of that before in the last eleven months. Sometimes it helps to just ramble about these things. I got so caught up in doing fresh OS installs.

The irritating thing is that this isn't really a Kansas Logic Board either. It's a Umax S900 logic board with the ROMs removed and Kansas ROMs soldered in their place. So, if I'd never changed the ROMs, which yielded very tiny benefits, I wouldn't have this problem.

Topic Tools

Start New Topic in this folder.

© 2010 System7Today.com.
The Apple Logo, Macintosh™, Mac OS™, and others property of Apple Computer, Inc.
This site is in no way affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc.