Home | SearchFAQ You are not logged in: Register | Log In

Please Read:
An important message from System 7 Today founder Dan Palka

Topic: Non-Apple 4 GB 50 pin scsi Drive (Page 1 of 1)
  tux (Profile)
  2 MB

Posted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:54 pm

I've got a Centris 650 running MacOS 7.5.5 on an Apple/Quantum 230 MB drive. Recently I've come across a good non-Apple 4 GB 50 pin scsi Drive that I want to use instead. I can boot off the disk tools floopy, but I can't seem to get the centris to recognize the drive in order to initialize it and install 7.5.5. Is there a way to get an old mac to use non-Apple drives? Thanks in advance,
tux

wove (Profile)

Posted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:46 am

At that point in history Apple's tools were limited to working with Apple branded hardware. Apple HD SC needs to be patched to work with non Apple hard drives. You can find the patch and information about how to create the patch here:

<http://www.euronet.nl/users/ernstoud/patch.html>

Good luck with your big hard drive. Make sure to let us know how it works out.

bill

tux (Profile)
  2 MB

Posted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:34 pm

wove wrote:

At that point in history Apple's tools were limited to working with Apple branded hardware. Apple HD SC needs to be patched to work with non Apple hard drives. You can find the patch and information about how to create the patch here:

<http://www.euronet.nl/users/ernstoud/patch.html>

Good luck with your big hard drive. Make sure to let us know how it works out.

bill

Thanks for your help - it worked. I used the patch script on my HD SC Setup 7.3.5 file and then used the patched file to initialize and format the drive. Then I decided to install OS 8.1 from a CD. The install media initially complained about the drive not not being Apple approved, but still allowed an install. Boots fine, runs great!

zabagar (Profile)
  1 MB

Posted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:28 am

I'm actually going to be doing this exact same thing.
My Centris' drive died and I picked up a 4GB SCSI.
I have yet to find the patched version of the HD SC setup on a bootable floppy though. Without a working Mac, I have no way to update my existing bootable floppy that has the unpatched version on it. I tried many ways!!!

From what I read, it looks like the Mac OS 8.1 will format/initialize a non-apple scsi. I do have that on CD. Will have to try. I just ordered the 4GB drive so I'll find out.

If anybody knows where to get a bootable floppy with the patched HD SC Setup, let me know! I did actually find 1 link but after downloading and making the floppy from an .img file, my mac refused to boot with it. I do have a bunch of utilities on my PC for working with MAC files/images.

take care,
Bob Z

cballeron (Profile)
  16 MB

Posted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:50 pm

Depending on the specific hardware, I've heard of CF Flash memory working on various powerbooks, so I imagine they would also work on desktops, somewhat like SSDs, just a little less state-of-the-art.

Those would probably runs faster, I'd imagine, the issue would be the old OS read-writes!

Cb

cballeron (Profile)
  16 MB

Posted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:50 pm

Depending on the specific hardware, I've heard of CF Flash memory working on various powerbooks, so I imagine they would also work on desktops, somewhat like SSDs, just a little less state-of-the-art.

Those would probably runs faster, I'd imagine, the issue would be the old OS read-writes!

Cb

Topic Tools

Start New Topic in this folder.

© 2010 System7Today.com.
The Apple Logo, Macintosh™, Mac OS™, and others property of Apple Computer, Inc.
This site is in no way affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc.