Home | SearchFAQ You are not logged in: Register | Log In

Please Read:
An important message from System 7 Today founder Dan Palka

Topic: Transfer files from pc to mac (Page 1 of 1)
  kroart (Profile)
  1 MB

Posted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:02 pm

Hi. I have PowerBook 520 with system 7.5.5 and I want to transfer some file to it. And I do not know how to do this because this file's size more than 1.44 MB so it can not be copied to a floppy diskette. How can I split this file on windows and then combine parts on mac?

wove (Profile)

Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:19 pm

Stuffit the old Mac archive software use to make a Windows version that could handle Mac file the same as the Mac version. You could look for that, Stuffit now belongs to Smith Micro and I am not sure what it has become.

I do not know what networking capabilities you have on the 520, but files of any size can be transfered over a network. The 520 would have a SCSI port which might provide an option for an external hard drive or a Zip drive.

There is no real easy magic bullet answer to cross platform file transfer. You need to look at all your capibilites and figure out what can be made to work.

bill

24bit (Profile)
  64 MB

Posted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:20 pm

I used PCMacLan quite a bit back in the days.
There may be other (better) solutions, but this always worked for me with a W2K or XP host as fileserver. PCMacLan provides a shell for PC volumes, so they look exacly like AppleTalk server volumes from a Mac. You will need a AAUI-15 adapter for your PB, of course. PCMacLan was very easy to use, the demo version had to be restarted after three hours, though.

BasiliskII and SheepSaver can write Mac HD floppies.
(Control-F1 is used to mount floppies with the emulator)
It should be possible to create chunks with Stuffit 3.5 or higher on the emulated drive, transfer your splitted files on floppies to the PB and join them there.
That sounds like the hard way to me, but not impossible.

Topic Tools

Start New Topic in this folder.

© 2010 System7Today.com.
The Apple Logo, Macintosh™, Mac OS™, and others property of Apple Computer, Inc.
This site is in no way affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc.