Home | SearchFAQ You are not logged in: Register | Log In

Please Read:
An important message from System 7 Today founder Dan Palka

Topic: Quadra650 startup problem (Page 2 of 3)
Post ReplyGo to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
  wove (Profile)

Posted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:54 am

It appears to me that your internal hard drive is bad and needs to be replaced. If the hard drive is as old as the Quadra it has lasted a long time.

On old hard drives the failure is often mechanical. The bearings often end up failing. Somethings that people have tried to get the old drives working are:

Give the drive a good solid slap with your hand.

Run the drive upside down.

Put the drive in the freezer for a time and start the drive after is is ice cold.

If you can find a replacement drive and get your Quadra up and running you can place the troublesome drive in an external case and try and access it from there. Sometimes Disk Warrior or Norton Utilities will provide acesses to a drive that Apple's disk tools can not.

bill

massi13 (Profile)
  64 MB

Posted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:30 am

Thanks Bill, i will try to start the hard drive in on these ways. But if i would find a compatible HD, what type of hd i need? and what maximum size can i use with system 7 installed?

Max

wove (Profile)

Posted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:07 am

To replace the hard drive you need a SCSI hard drive. The easiest fit would be a 50 pin drive, but 68(?) and 80 pin drives are often more common. Those drive will work with an adaptor.

SCSI is an older technology. I am not sure what limits there are to drive size. A google search will most likely provide an answer to that. Generally speaking almost any SCSI drive you find will work just fine.

bill

massi13 (Profile)
  64 MB

Posted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:23 am

http://annunci.ebay.it/annunci.....o/32727108

The last HD of the list can work on a Mac? it is an scsi 50 pin IBM, so i'm not sure it can be work, even if i try to formatted it.

Max

wove (Profile)

Posted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:20 am

The 50 pin SCSI drive should work just fine. It should not need any adaptor to work.

The other drives listed should work as well, however they will need an adaptor to work.

bill

massi13 (Profile)
  64 MB

Posted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:26 am

Nothing to do... The seller wants only for the 50 pin too much in my opinion... I will find another one...
Thanks Bill!

Max

Topic Tools

Start New Topic in this folder.
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

© 2010 System7Today.com.
The Apple Logo, Macintosh™, Mac OS™, and others property of Apple Computer, Inc.
This site is in no way affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc.