Home | SearchFAQ You are not logged in: Register | Log In

Please Read:
An important message from System 7 Today founder Dan Palka

Topic: First time poster! (Page 1 of 1)
  frankblues (Profile)
  2 MB

Posted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:16 pm

Greetings from Salt Lake City!

I'm not exactly a mac zealot, but I've been enjoying the older machines lately. I just picked up a Powerbook 150 from a local thrift store, stock config (4mb ram, 250 mb HD) - works beautifully. Just ordered it a Farallon Etherwave adapter from ebay, and thinking about hooking it to a Ethernet <-> Wifi adapter for portable fun.

I've also got an LC III, my old college computer. It's got 20mb of ram, an Iomega Zip drive, and there is an ethernet adapter on the way. It sits next to a Bondi Blue G3 iMac, and I'm hoping all three of those systems will network together and play nicely. Heh.

I'm sure I will be having networking headaches in the coming weeks (it would be nice if everything decided to plug and play...) so I'll have lots of questions!

Thanks!
Alex

jonpurdy (Profile)
  8 MB

Posted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:44 pm

Welcome!

Thrift stores can be awesome places to pick old Macs up from. Unexpectedly good finds can leave one quite satisfied.

Keep in mind that questions might take awhile to get answered here; dates between posts can be months (or years), haha.

PwrMac5200Guy (Profile)
  2 MB

Posted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:09 pm

Hi guys!

Greetings from Easthampton, Massachusetts! I myself am a long time Mac user. My Mac army consists of a Macintosh SE/30(Mac OS 7.1), Macintosh Quadra 605(Mac OS 8.0), and my favorite trusty old Power Macintosh 5200/75 LC(though upgraded to Power Macintosh 5300/100 LC running Mac OS 8.1). The SE/30 needs the capacitors replaced so that audio works, but outside of that everything still works! All the Macintoshes have Ethernet cards installed. I am currently looking to add a Personal LaserWriter 320 to the Macs.

Excalibur (Profile)
  8 MB

Posted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:43 pm

Welcome! I'm a bit late to reply, but that's how it goes. It's been a few months, so how is your setup going?

I have a 6100 PowerMac that I use often (right now, actually). It's upgraded with a Sonnet 500MHz G3, a 50GB HD, 264MB RAM, a 4MB HPV video card, and a CD burner. I have a 6500 also heavily upgraded and is maxed out in nearly every conceivable way. There's also an old LC and a IISi. All have ethernet cards and all have worked great on my network. I use DAVE on the 6100 for file sharing with my Windows PC and G5. For wireless, I use Linksys WET54g bridges with a few of them. They are about to be replaced by newer "n" bridges so I can use WPA encryption.

I have several other Macs, like a 7500 upgraded to a 800MHz G4, 1GB RAM, 128MB Radeon 9250, a Sonnet Tempo Trio card for USB, Firewire, an IDE HD and DVD burner. It has OS X 10.4.11 and OS 9.2.2 installed. It's probably the one with the biggest technology leap from original specs. However, the ones listed earlier are my oldest.

It's pretty amazing how much can still be done with old Macs.

Topic Tools

Start New Topic in this folder.

© 2010 System7Today.com.
The Apple Logo, Macintosh™, Mac OS™, and others property of Apple Computer, Inc.
This site is in no way affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc.