Home | SearchFAQ You are not logged in: Register | Log In

Please Read:
An important message from System 7 Today founder Dan Palka

Topic: Clones! UMAX Supermac C500 603e/200 (Page 1 of 1)
  Mrgoomba909 (Profile)
  16 MB

Posted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:48 pm

Hi all! I have a problem with a Umax Supermac c500; yet I don't quite know what it is.

It doesn't seem to boot from anything in the CD drive.
I've Heard that you can only boot with an official Apple SCSI drive, is this true?

I plan on Installing OS9 along with Sys7.6.1, maybe OS8 if It doesn't like either one of those...

Thanks, Mrgoomba909

ovalking (Profile)
  32 MB

Posted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:04 pm

Yes, that's my recollection.
I had the same trouble with a Umax Pulsar.
I keep an old Apple CD300e for machines lacking an internal (Apple) drive.

Mrgoomba909 (Profile)
  16 MB

Posted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:17 pm

ovalking wrote:

Yes, that's my recollection.
I had the same trouble with a Umax Pulsar.
I keep an old Apple CD300e for machines lacking an internal (Apple) drive.

Ah great. </sarcasm> Time to go buy more stuff... Unless there's some other way to do this... but I doubt it.

I tried putting in a HD with 9.2.2, It didn't boot. I'm not sure if that's because it doesn't support 9.2.2, or because It won't boot at all. I'm going to try a drive with 7.1, but I doubt that will work... especially since its going from 68k to PPC... that won't work too well.

The HD is IDE... and I tried using an IDE CD drive to no avail.

Another note: I took a SCSI CD-ROM drive from my LC520 and I don't recall it booting from that. I can only assume that would be an "Official Apple Drive" so... IDK.

I want to make sure it's the CD drive and not a bigger problem with the machine itself... because if that's the problem I don't think there's much hope for the poor thing... I'll probably part it out if that's the case. (unless someone wants a nonworking Clone)

Of course It still might work... I just have no idea.

Topic Tools

Start New Topic in this folder.

© 2010 System7Today.com.
The Apple Logo, Macintosh™, Mac OS™, and others property of Apple Computer, Inc.
This site is in no way affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc.