Home | SearchFAQ You are not logged in: Register | Log In

Please Read:
An important message from System 7 Today founder Dan Palka

Topic: System 7.6 "bus error" and PCI SATA Card (Page 1 of 1)
  feeef (Profile)
  64 MB

Posted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:24 am

Hi,

I have just managed to install System 7.6 on a powermac 9500 with a G4 700MHz upgrade, a Radeon 7000 and a PCI SATA card.

It has not been easy as every time I did a fresh install of 7.6(.1), I had a "Bus error" during the startup process. (no problem with 7.5 though). Disabling the extensions made it boot correctly.

However I discovered that the problem didn't come from the extensions but from the SATA card. (Sonnet Tempo). Without it, the system was booting correctly.

I didn't want to remove the card from the computer as I have Mac OS X on one of the drives, so I looked for a solution.

I finally found out that the virtual memory was conflicting with the card. Disabling it fixed the problem.

Now my computer is young again! It is so fast with System 7.6.1.

I do video editing and I just tryed Premiere 5. It is as smooth as Final Cut on my intel iMac. It is actually a really good editing station for SD footage. I am impressed! Smile

Thanks to your website you made me enjoy my 9500 again! Smile

rlawson (Profile)
  64 MB

Posted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:16 pm

Yes that has to be nice! I have 7.6 on a powermac 7300 and it's amazingly fast but my box has no where near the specs of your 9500

feeef (Profile)
  64 MB

Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:23 am

The funny thing is that when I bought this mac, back in 99, it came with its 7.5 install and a Mac OS 8 CD. Of course I installed Mac OS 8... and then Mac OS 9, Mac OS X with the upgrade...

Only last week I discovered how fast and how cool, this machine was running system 7! I never used it before on that mac and in my mind this system was way to old to be usable today.

Thanks a lot to you guys at System 7 Today once again! Smile

I am only missing Toast titanium to mount .toast images (but I can still boot on OS 9 for that) and a cool dock like A-Dock which makes application launching a lot more easier.

feeef (Profile)
  64 MB

Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:38 am

I spoke too fast about video editing. I have problems with sound when playing DV footage (stored on my SATA drive). The image is really smooth (720x576 @ 25fps) but the sound doesn't work well.

MP3's are also not playing well when stored on the SATA drive (they play too fast for a few seconds then stop, then play too fast again...). No problem at all when stored on the SCSI drive though.

If the problem was due to the slow PCI Bus on that machine, why would the video play that well? Has anyone ever had this problem?

rlawson (Profile)
  64 MB

Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:56 pm

I guess the SCSI drive is just much faster. I know that's not always the case today but even 5 years ago, SCSI generally beat SATA in throughput

feeef (Profile)
  64 MB

Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:39 am

Well, I have been investigating and it looks like the problem is more from the card itself. It may not be fully compatible with my 9500.

I have been testing the SATA drive with XBench on OS X and it's much faster than the SCSI one.

Topic Tools

Start New Topic in this folder.

© 2010 System7Today.com.
The Apple Logo, Macintosh™, Mac OS™, and others property of Apple Computer, Inc.
This site is in no way affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc.