Home | SearchFAQ You are not logged in: Register | Log In

Please Read:
An important message from System 7 Today founder Dan Palka

Topic: Ideas for an Apple Network Server (Page 1 of 2)
Post ReplyGo to page 1, 2  Next
  jonpurdy (Profile)
  8 MB

Posted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:09 pm

This thing is huge and heavy and can't even run Mac OS. I have no interest trying to install an ancient version of Linux on it either.

Does anyone have any suggestions for what to do with it? I did the bed stand thing years ago while in uni but it's not my style anymore, haha. Maybe turn it into a mini fridge somehow? Or should I take off the nameplate, turn it into a key chain, and scrap the rest?

feeef (Profile)
  64 MB

Posted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:16 am

Hi jonpurdy,

Why not just installing the AIX OS that was made for this computer ?
It is a UNIX OS and I think you could be able to do really cool things with it.

feeef (Profile)
  64 MB

Posted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:26 am

I don't know the graphical capabilities of this server but it has 6 PCI slots and you may even be able to install a good graphic card to run Gnome on top of AIX.

You could also use it as a UNIX development platform, a network router, a file server or a web server.

wove (Profile)

Posted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:39 am

A/UX is the name of Apple's old Unix based server software. AIX is IBM's brand of Unix.

It was in its day a heck of a work horse, but today it is probably little beyond a curiosity. I would hate to see one of these machine tore up and junked. It could probably still do a good job of serving up web pages, news, email and perhaps ftp duties.

It would most likely not be very secure and probably is not very energy efficient either. A/UX did run System 7.1 software, but even 7.1 finds little use today.

There are/were sites that provided information and software for A/UX. It would be interesting to get it working if for no other reason than demoing it. And it would make a pretty neat end table beside a comfortable reading chair.

bill

feeef (Profile)
  64 MB

Posted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:58 am

I may be wrong but I think that A/UX never worked on PowerPC machines it was a 68k system.

The Apple Network Servers were sold exclusively with the AIX operating system, in a version called "AIX for Apple Network Servers" with some Apple-specific features, like AppleShare services

It's what is said on wikipedia Smile

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A.....r#Software

wove (Profile)

Posted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:41 am

You are right; I stand corrected. Sorry about introducing confusion.

bill

Topic Tools

Start New Topic in this folder.
Go to page 1, 2  Next

© 2010 System7Today.com.
The Apple Logo, Macintosh™, Mac OS™, and others property of Apple Computer, Inc.
This site is in no way affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc.