Home | SearchFAQ You are not logged in: Register | Log In

Please Read:
An important message from System 7 Today founder Dan Palka

Topic: PowerMac 7500/100 rebuild! (Page 1 of 2)
Post ReplyGo to page 1, 2  Next
  FreshGroundPepper (Profile)
  4 MB

Posted: Mon May 20, 2013 2:24 pm

Hey everyone!

So I got a PowerMac 7500 from a friend who was using it as a doorstop and I plan to rebuild it. I've been messing around with it and I realize I'm going to have a lot of questions.

First off, I've tried to burn stuff (games in particular) to a CD-RW but when I put it in the drive it doesn't even mount. Is this a software or CD-ROM issue? The CD-RW's were purchased mere days ago so is the drive too old to read them? Is there a cheap way (different CD's, or new CD-ROM, etc.) to fix this?

Secondly, I plan to rebuilt the OS and as it stands now 7.5.3 is free thanks to Apple (though I'd LOVE 7.6.1) so I guess that's going on there. I realize I could put 8 or 9 on but for nostalgia's sake, I'd like 7. I don't really want to go the 19-Floppy route but is this my only option? I think I may be able to get a CD version OS working if I get the first question answered and fixed...

Thanks a ton for any answers guys!

Mrgoomba909 (Profile)
  16 MB

Posted: Tue May 21, 2013 8:38 pm

I've never had any (major) problems with CDs in my Sys7 mac, New or old, they all seem to work decently.
I've never had a problem with my mac READING CDs... Unless the problem is a faulty burn (which Would be my Other Computer's fault)
I would assume it's a drive fault... But how are you burning them and from what Computer?

*** Rereading I just noticed you're using CD-RWs... Did you check to see if your drive is compatible with ReWritable Discs?

4 MB

Posted: Wed May 22, 2013 11:49 am

Thanks for the feedback! It was probably about the time you were writing that, I figured out it was a few things.
First, yes it canNOT read CD-RW's however it can read CD-R's.
Second, I had the format wrong. As far as I can tell it NEEDS to be HFS.

Long story short, I went onto and older OSX system (I think it's OSX 5 - Leopard - or earlier), created an disk image on the desktop the size of a CD, then erased it and formatted that as Mac OS Standard (instead of extended obviously), copied any info onto that (now mounted) image, then burned the entire thing to a blank CD-R.
She's running swimmingly now with a fresh 7.5.3 build!
Now I need to figure out how to get some data from a secondary HD to any modern format... It's too big for floppies (about 2 GB).

ovalking (Profile)
  32 MB

Posted: Wed May 22, 2013 1:12 pm

Yep, you'll need OS8.1 to read HFS+ (Extended) format.
In the meantime, moving to 7.5.5 is a worthwhile update for increased stability (and as far as you can go for free).

4 MB

Posted: Wed May 22, 2013 2:43 pm

So small change of plans, I've put a copy of 8.1 on that I dug up. I'm doing temporarily to get data off of the secondary scsi drive and hopefully the internet connecting will be more stable on OS 8.

I've managed to get on the internet (though Netscape Navigator 3.0 doesn't work all that well with 2013 web pages...) so I know I have a valid IP and ports are working and all that jazz...
It should be as simple as giving it a manual IP address, giving a manual IP address to an OSX laptop I have, then using my crossover cable right? The laptop should mount the shared drives on the OS 8 machine?

I'm quickly running low on ideas on how to get data off that old 50-pin scsi drive.

wove (Profile)

Posted: Thu May 23, 2013 8:03 am

There is a tutorial on connecting System 7 machines to OS X (Leopard) machines on the home page of the System 7 Today site.

<http://main.system7today.com/articles/tutorials/osxfilesharing.html>

Depending on the amount of data you are trying to transfer, you could also try setting up ftp services on the machines and do transfers via ftp. Smaller files and documents could be transfered via email attachments.

Depending on your objectives you could also just edit you files or documents right on your System 7 machine, since you do have it up and operational.

bill

Topic Tools

Start New Topic in this folder.
Go to page 1, 2  Next

© 2010 System7Today.com.
The Apple Logo, Macintosh™, Mac OS™, and others property of Apple Computer, Inc.
This site is in no way affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc.