Home | SearchFAQ You are not logged in: Register | Log In

Please Read:
An important message from System 7 Today founder Dan Palka

Topic: Hello fellow users of archaic computers! (Page 1 of 1)
  this-is-1984 (Profile)
  4 MB

Posted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:42 pm

Hi, I have never owned an Apple product before and have had no contact with the Macintosh platform since grade school. I am however very interested in computers and have wanted to get an old Macintosh for awhile.

Recently I managed to acquire a Power Macintosh 6500/300. Which I figured would be fairly decent for running system 7, 8, and 9. I already had a communications slot ethernet card for those gen models but I got pretty much nothing else.

I'm probably going to have a few questions over the next couple weeks as I'd like to get Mac OS 7 installed and Internet working on the machine at least. There are a couple things I'm sort of confused on from the get go and I hope this is a relatively friendly and patient community that will be able to help me get this machine fully running properly.

rlawson (Profile)
  64 MB

Posted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:32 am

It's a fun hobby, especially if you remember these machines from your younger days.

This site has a lot of resources. Another good site is macintoshgarden.org

Hopefully your box has an ethernet connection, that'll make loading stuff a lot easier. Enjoy!

this-is-1984 (Profile)
  4 MB

Posted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:57 pm

Thanks. I see that this is not the most active place.

I do remember these from school. My class had a 6400/6500 and several 5200/5400/5500s. I don't remember their exact models. I originally wanted to pick up a 5400 but decided to get this one as its much more powerful and expandable.

I have my first set of questions ready so I'll find the appropriate area on the the site and hope someone sees it.

wmmullaney (Profile)
  2 MB

Posted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 5:30 pm

Hi there, and welcome aboard. How are your adventures going?

No, not the most active place, but I would challenge you to find a Windows 95 users forum with half the members Razz

I run OS 7.6 on a daily basis for writing, streaming music, communicating with Newton, light web browsing, dialing up BBS's and printing with an ImageWriter. All on a 33mhz 68k Performa Very Happy The versatility of these machines and their operating systems is incredible, I hope you have a similar experience with yours.

System 7 forever!

jonpurdy (Profile)
  8 MB

Posted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:12 pm

Welcome aboard! The forums aren't the busiest every day but users typically log in anywhere from every week to every year, haha.

marioman23 (Profile)
  1 MB

Posted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:37 pm

I always liked the 6500. these were insanely fast, not to mention quite good looking.
It's a good thing you have ethernet; I currently have a perfectly fine PowerBook 1400c, butwithout ethernet, I just can't get much done with it.
Anyway, I'll most likely beon here at least a few times a week; I'm new, but knowledgable.

Good luck!

Topic Tools

Start New Topic in this folder.

© 2010 System7Today.com.
The Apple Logo, Macintosh™, Mac OS™, and others property of Apple Computer, Inc.
This site is in no way affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc.