Home | SearchFAQ You are not logged in: Register | Log In

Please Read:
An important message from System 7 Today founder Dan Palka

Topic: Open Transport 1.3 Install Failing (Page 1 of 1)
  mac57mac57 (Profile)
  4 MB

Posted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:56 am

Hi All,

I downloaded the Open Transport 1.3 for 68K from this site and attempted to install it on my Mac OS 7.6.1 Quadra 660AV. It not only failed, but it trashed my existing TCP/IP install while it was at it, leaving me off the net. I am hoping someone can help.

The file you download is a StuffIt archive. When you unstuff it, you get a folder with four subfolders, called Install 1 through Install 4, and two executables, both of which look like installers.

I copied these files over to a temporary folder on the Quadra 660AV and ran the top level installer. It fired up nicely but stopped very quickly, asking me to insert the disk called Install 1. Clearly, it was looking for a floppy. Dumb installer!

Nonetheless, I got out four floppies and dutifully copied the four Install folders onto each one. Then I restarted the main installer from the temporary folder on the Quadra hard drive. When it asked for the disk called Install 1, I put the floppy into the drive and it was immediately read by the installer. So far, so good.

HOWEVER, the installer immediately stopped again, saying something to the effect that while the inserted disk had the right name, it was not the right disk, and asked for the original install disks!

I am stuck. I don't know what is upsetting it, and I can't get Open Transport 1.3 to install as a result. Worse still, my previously running TCP/IP is now gone - the installer seems to have deleted it in preparation for the pending install.

Has anyone else had this problem, and do you have any sage words of wisdom for me? Thanks.

wove (Profile)

Posted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:51 am

It has been sometime since I have done this. You need to expand the archive to the top level of the hard drive. Do not expand the archive into a folder.

From what I can recall. I would place the archive on my desktop, expand the archive directly on the desktop and then run the installer on the desktop.

Older Apple software can also be downloaded directly from Apple <http://www.info.apple.com/support/oldersoftwarelist.html> I do not know if Apple packages the software any different than it is packaged on this site.

bill

mac57mac57 (Profile)
  4 MB

Posted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:29 am

Hi, thanks for the reply. This response is coming directly from my Quadra 660AV, via iCab 2.99, so I was finally successful in getting the machine back on the net. In the end, poking around Apple's web site, I read that Open Transport 1.1.2 was the last version that could be installed on any of the System 7 variants - OS 8.x was needed for anything higher.

So, I went back and reinstalled Open Transport 1.1.1 on top of my current install, and finally got connectivity back. I started with 1.1.2, but it's installer required 1.1 to be there already, so I had to drop back to 1.1.1. Once that was done, I hopefully checked my TCP/IP control panel, only to find that DHCP was still failing. I manually configured all of the addresses, and voila! I am on the air again. I am not sure why DHCP isn't working, but I am going to leave good enough alone.

Thanks again for the response. Onwards to my next project, which is restoring a Quadra 840AV. Having a fully operative Quadra 660AV to use as a "base camp" while I do that will make the 840AV restoration a lot easier than the 660AV equivalent was!

mac57mac57 (Profile)
  4 MB

Posted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:02 pm

Thanks for the helpful suggestions. Two more things here:

1/ I have continued to poke around, and found several references that suggest that Open Transport 1.3 will work just fine under Mac OS 7.6, so now I am truly confused... I will probably not worry about it now, but in case anyone is reading this in the future, even though Apple says OT 1.3 and OS 7.6 don't agree with each other, plenty of other people, this site included, say that they do. Caveat Emptor I guess!

2/Re the simple mechanical failure of the Open Transport 1.3 software package here on the site to install, in addition to the suggestions above, I have also read that it is necessary to use Disk Copy 6.3.3 to make the floppy images. I have not confirmed this, but again, for future readers, this may be another avenue.

Thanks again everyone and I hope the above may be of some help.

Aoresteen (Profile)
  2 MB

Posted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:16 pm

From what I have found out, Open Transport 1.3.x will work ONLY on System 8.1 or above.

http://my.coredcs.com/DD/F5/aberkvam/macnet/

All of the Apple links to OT 1.3.1 seem to be dead.

Stick with 1.2.x

Topic Tools

Start New Topic in this folder.

© 2010 System7Today.com.
The Apple Logo, Macintosh™, Mac OS™, and others property of Apple Computer, Inc.
This site is in no way affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc.