Home | SearchFAQ You are not logged in: Register | Log In

Please Read:
An important message from System 7 Today founder Dan Palka

Topic: 5300 Internet Access (Page 1 of 2)
Post ReplyGo to page 1, 2  Next
  Chivalry (Profile)
  2 MB

Posted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 4:19 pm

I'm trying to get a PowerBook 5300cs up and running for my mother-in-law. I've installed System 7.6.1 with the rest of the recommended software listed on this site. The PPP control panel connects to the Internet, but IE5 cannot see any web pages. I actually tried this originally with Mac OS 9.1, but took it down to 7.6.1 when I had the same thing happen under 9.

PPP reports the status as connected, TCP/IP reports that it is going through PPP and is being configured via the PPP server, when I launch IE, I get an IP address, but no web pages load.

Basically, I'm at a loss, and am about to give up and just give the computer to her without net access or possibly try again with a 1400 I have. But any hints anyone can provide would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Chuck

dpaanlka (Profile)
  1024 MB

Posted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 5:06 pm

Go into TCP/IP.

First, be sure that the connection is set to use PPP and not AppleTalk or Ethernet. Then, Type the following into the "Name server address" field exactly as I have it below:

The 6 IP addresses above, including being on seperate lines, should be typed into that field if you are having difficulty connecting to the internet. Please let us know if that helps you out!

Welcome to S7T, by the way!

dpaanlka (Profile)
  1024 MB

Posted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 5:21 pm

Also, be sure to read this - which describes some problems common on the 5200 and 5300 series machines, just so you know what you're getting into.

Chivalry (Profile)
  2 MB

Posted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 5:31 pm

Thanks for the welcome. I've had your site in a Safari tab for months, hoping to eventually get System 7 emulated on my MacBook Pro. But it became especially useful when I began trying to configure this 5300. I actually began using the Mac during the System 7 days (or at least not to long before, about 88 or so). Installing it on the 5300 has brought up a lot of memories. If I get the 5300 set up for my mother-in-law, then I may try to get the 1400 up for the kids to have as a second computer (they currently share a clamshell iBook).

That seemed to work. I didn't think it would because at one time my ISP had suggested something similiar and it didn't work, but that was when the system was running OS 9. The access is as slow as molasses, but it works, so my mother-in-law should be able to chat with her grandkids and see pictures (hopefully on our .Mac account).

Thanks for the help. Now I can clean this up a bit and ship it off to her with the modem and printer.

Thanks again.

Chuck

dpaanlka (Profile)
  1024 MB

Posted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 5:34 pm

Well, glad that worked.

Just FYI, one major contribution to that machine's slowness is the machine itself. The 5200/5300 is widely considered to be the worst Apple motherboard design in history, explained in that link I gave you, which I'll repeat below:

http://lowendmac.com/tech/x200.shtml

Reasons include putting a PowerPC chipon a 68k motherboard, and lots of bus-sharing.

If you have any ability to find the identical looking, but problem-free 5400 or 5500 machine, you're mother in-law would be much better off.

Chivalry (Profile)
  2 MB

Posted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 6:30 pm

Thanks for the info regarding the 5300 series, but this is a PowerBOOK 5300, not a PowerMAC 5200, so the article that you pointed to doesn't seem to apply (although I seem to remember something about the 5300s catching fire on occassion). The only other system I would give her would be the PowerBook 1400, but as that's the last PowerPC computer I have that has SCSI and a drive bay for which I have a CD-ROM, floppy and Zip drives, I'm hesitant to let go of it yet. The 5300 doesn't have a CD drive and I don't have a SCSI CD-ROM drive to connect to it.

Thanks,
Chuck

Topic Tools

Start New Topic in this folder.
Go to page 1, 2  Next

© 2010 System7Today.com.
The Apple Logo, Macintosh™, Mac OS™, and others property of Apple Computer, Inc.
This site is in no way affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc.