Home | SearchFAQ You are not logged in: Register | Log In

Please Read:
An important message from System 7 Today founder Dan Palka

Topic: My 6500/ no display (Page 1 of 1)
  this-is-1984 (Profile)
  4 MB

Posted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:10 pm

So I finally got everything I think I need to get this unit running; however, I have no display.

I bought this adaptor:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/360619.....1497.l2649

on ebay and plugged in a standard multisync 14" crt VGA monitor. I put in a system 7 disk and started her up. I have no monitor output. The machine makes its startup sound but the monitor never detects a signal. I've tried it with both switch positions on the adapter but nothing. Is this the wrong adapter?

rlawson (Profile)
  64 MB

Posted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:06 pm

These things are finicky but that adapter should work. Try another monitor, one capable of higher resolutions than the 14" crt. If that still doesn't work I can send you one for the cost of postage (if you are in the US). I have a bunch of them and they have always worked for me on my PPC systems - it has the dip switches and supports a good many resolutions. Just PM me.

SpinDogs (Profile)
  1 MB

Posted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:46 pm

Have you checked the PRAM battery? It may be a 4.5 Ray-O-Vac # 840 or 84 which is out of production.

I own a 5400 that has the same problem. The best remedy is to find a very cheap LED Flash light that uses 3, 1.5 v AAA cells. Use the 'carriage' form the flashlight to make a battery for the PM 6500. Use the old leads from the dead battery to solder onto the 3 AAA batteries. Be sure to connect them in series (+ to -, + to -, + to -). The red lead will be soldered onto the +, black lead to the -.

I believe that you can get the Velco strips to attach your 'new' battery to the logic board from many fabric or craft outlet shops. If not, just insulate the holder with paper and tape it to the logic board with electrical tape.

The beauty of this is that you don't have to re-fabricate a new battery. Just replace the 3 AAA cells.

this-is-1984 (Profile)
  4 MB

Posted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:28 pm

Thanks, for the info. That seems a bit involved. Yes there is a big black thing that might be a battery that connects to the motherboard via a 4 pin connector with 1 pin intentionally missing. It is no longer velcroed to the motherboard and just dangles when I take the motherboard out though.

I bought a radeon 7000 mac edition like this place seems to recommend and installed it. I still get no video. Would the battery prevent the graphics card from working. It should at least display something without an installed operating system and drivers, right?

I'm running out of time to get this thing working before I can no longer leave feedback on ebay.

I'll contact rlawson about another video adapter but other than that is there anything I'm missing besides that battery that I need to know about making this thing work?

this-is-1984 (Profile)
  4 MB

Posted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:48 pm

Update.

The black battery is a Rayovac 4.5v #841

this-is-1984 (Profile)
  4 MB

Posted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:06 pm

Problem Solved. Upon reading the troubleshooting guide and examining the mainboard I noticed that one of the ram modules was not like the other. One had an apple sticker detailing what kind of ram it was. The other was a viking ram module with no stickers or labels. I removed the suspicious module and now the system successfully boots from my system 7 cd-rom. The display works.

I feel dumb. Sorry.

Topic Tools

Start New Topic in this folder.

© 2010 System7Today.com.
The Apple Logo, Macintosh™, Mac OS™, and others property of Apple Computer, Inc.
This site is in no way affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc.