Home | SearchFAQ You are not logged in: Register | Log In

Please Read:
An important message from System 7 Today founder Dan Palka

Topic: Hello all! (Page 1 of 1)
  ravendove (Profile)
  4 MB

Posted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:54 pm

Hi everyone! My name is Sean Sheridan. I've been working on refurbishing my first two Macs, a Performa 631CD and a Wallstreet Powerbook G3. I'm pretty excited to be here and I'm looking forward to sharing and learning as I continue through the process.

My G3 is on 8.2 so I won't be talking much about that here. The 631, on the other hand, is currently running System 7.5.1. I got it back when I was 13 and didn't know a whole lot about it. At some point since then, I think a friend of mine upgraded the OS. I'm not really interested in upgrading it further, in fact I might be more inclined to downgrade it back to its original OS if I can figure out what exactly it shipped with.

I've successfully installed an ethernet card and got it on the internet. Now I'm feeling like that's just the beginning. Let's see where we can go from here.

Anonymous Freak (Profile)
  32 MB

Posted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:34 am

Welcome! You'll find it can be a little quiet here, but friendly.

That model of Performa shipped with a custom version of System 7.1 - and System 7.5 is *MUCH* more usable if you want to connect to more modern machines. (You can connect over AppleTalk to an OS X machine running up to 10.3 for file sharing, you can use iCab to browse the internet, etc.)

wmmullaney (Profile)
  2 MB

Posted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 5:34 pm

Welcome! I have a 630CD too, you can download the original software for it here: http://macintoshgarden.org/app.....-and-lc630

I recommend 7.5.5 or 7.6.1 for it if you can get at least 36mb of ram, it's much more functional. I have mine partitioned into three disks, with 7.1.2 on one, 7.6.1 and 8.1 on the others, just to get the full experience Smile I use 7.6.1 the most.

Have fun with your mac!

ravendove (Profile)
  4 MB

Posted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:36 pm

Hey, thanks for the responses guys. I'd have gotten back sooner but I didn't realize I'd gotten any answers.

I thought it was a 7.1 system back then. I've since installed a 40GB drive so it's got plenty of space for extra partitions. I think I'll take your suggestion and install multiple OS's on here and play around going back and forth. I might even throw linux on one of them just for giggles.

At the moment, I'm having a hell of a time getting an email client to work and, though it's not a surprise, it looks like connecting to my Google Drive is out. But I'll keep poking around with it and let you guys know how things go.

On that thought, it appears the Apple System Profiler installed on this machine requires 7.5.2 but I'm running 7.5.1 as earlier stated. Any idea where I might get my hands on an appropriate version of the software?

Thanks again and I look forward to hearing from you guys soon.

Topic Tools

Start New Topic in this folder.

© 2010 System7Today.com.
The Apple Logo, Macintosh™, Mac OS™, and others property of Apple Computer, Inc.
This site is in no way affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc.