Home | SearchFAQ You are not logged in: Register | Log In

Please Read:
An important message from System 7 Today founder Dan Palka

Topic: HP SureStore 5000 DDS-1 Tape Drive Issue (Page 1 of 1)
  Aoresteen (Profile)
  2 MB

Posted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:10 pm

I'm trying to get my HP SureStore 5000 (SS5K) running with my Quadra 605. It's in an external SCSI box with 4 other devices.

1. Has anyone ever gotten the SureStore 5000 to work with Sys 7.5.5? I have Retrospec softwarwe to drive it.

2. When the SS5K is in the SCSI chain my Yamaha CD-r will not mount a CD. If I remove the SS5K CD's mount fine. I'm using the generic CD-Sunshine driver for the CD-r. Just the simple presense of the SS5K keeps CDs from mounting.

Are there any known SCSI DDS-1 tape drives that are Mac & Sys 7 friendly?

Thanks!

ovalking (Profile)
  32 MB

Posted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:09 am

I've been using HP DDS drives with 7.5.5 for years, so you should be able to get this working, but SCSI can be a frustrating annoying thing.

General checks include experimenting with device positions in the SCSI chain, try different cables, checking device Ids, checking only the end of the chain is terminated.

I've got an HP DDS1 internal in a 9500 running 7.5.5 and Retrospect 4. This works fine, providing I remember to switch on my HP SCSI scanner, otherwise I get random freezes.

On a beige G3 with OS9 and Retrospect 4, I have 3 external HP Surestore DAT8 DDS2 drives. Again working fine, except when one particular external HD is used on this setup it will not mount by itself - I have to use Drive Setup to mount it.

I have a Yamaha CRW4416S CD-R on a 7100 (7.5.5). I use Toast 3.5.2 as a driver. I also updated the firmware on it at one point (to 1.0j). So it might be worth looking at those aspects.

Finally, I have Retrospect 4 Driver Update 1.4 which fixes some issues with some devices.

Topic Tools

Start New Topic in this folder.

© 2010 System7Today.com.
The Apple Logo, Macintosh™, Mac OS™, and others property of Apple Computer, Inc.
This site is in no way affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc.