Home | SearchFAQ You are not logged in: Register | Log In

Please Read:
An important message from System 7 Today founder Dan Palka

Topic: Performa 6116 & 73GB hard drive (Page 1 of 1)
  Dimitris1980 (Profile)
  32 MB

Posted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:58 am

Hello, i connected to my performa 6116 a 2.5" 10,000 rpm hard drive using a SCA to 50 pin adapter. The problem is that when i turn on the computer, the system cannot detect the hard drive. So i boot with an apple system recovery cd, i run the drive setup 1.7.3, i search the scsi volumes and so i find the hard drive which i have to mount it (i also click on the option "automount on startup". I did 3 partitions and i installed mac os 7.6.1, mac os 8.1 and mac os 9. Every os work great so the hard drive, i installed some games also and the sonnet g3 drivers. The problem is that when i turn off the computer, next time that i turn it on, it cannot detect the hard drive again. So i have to do the same process. Boot from apple system recovery cd, run drive setup 1.7.3 (i also update the drives), search for scsi volumes, mount the hard drive and all come again. What can i do to avoid all this process?

wove (Profile)

Posted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:47 pm

I would guess that the hard drive is not spinning up fast enough to be seen by the system as it tries to boot. Sometimes that setting can be controlled with a jumper and sometimes you can make changes via the driver.

You would need to find the manufacturer specs and jumper settings to see what is available there. Apple's Disk Setup probably does not offer those kind of controls but FWB drive software or others might offer such settings.

Since the Mac of that vintage tries to start from a floppy first, you could insert a non boot floppy into the floppy drive. By the time the system realized it could not boot from the floppy, the hard drive would be up to speed and it would boot from the hard drive.

bill

Dimitris1980 (Profile)
  32 MB

Posted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:44 am

i changed the position of the one jumper. I put it next to "id 2". When i power on the computer for some seconds the screen shows a question mark and then the hard drive starts spinning and comes the mac os. If i reset the computer everything work great (there is no delay at all). When i shut it down and then power it on again i have to wait some seconds again for the hard drive to start spinning again.

Topic Tools

Start New Topic in this folder.

© 2010 System7Today.com.
The Apple Logo, Macintosh™, Mac OS™, and others property of Apple Computer, Inc.
This site is in no way affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc.