Home | SearchFAQ You are not logged in: Register | Log In

Please Read:
An important message from System 7 Today founder Dan Palka

Topic: File transfer with serial cable? (Page 1 of 1)
  Spintronic (Profile)
  4 MB

Posted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:34 am

Hi,
I have a Mac Performa running System 7.5.1 and it
does not have a network board installed. I have a 4 MB hqx file that I would like to install and was wondering if I could do it with a null modem serial cable. Anybody have any ideas? Do I need to install any other software to make this work?

Thanks

BigMac24 (Profile)
  4 MB

Posted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:27 pm

I tried that, but for some reason it kept picking up the modem and not the keyboard. You probably need a special driver.

wove (Profile)

Posted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:59 pm

If you are transferring from another Mac, you can just plug the Macs together with a standard Mac serial cable. You then turn on AppleTalk and boom you have the computers networked. Pretty slick feature of the old Macs Smile

If you are transferring from a PC to a Mac, then you can connect via a null modem cable. You would need to have the Communication Tool Box install and use a terminal program. ClarisWorks come with a terminal program which works fine for the purpose. You would need to have a terminal program running on the PC as well.

bill

Spintronic (Profile)
  4 MB

Posted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:08 pm

Thanks for the tip! I do have ClarisWorks and an extra Mac I can try to network to via AppleTalk. So now my question is what is the difference between a Mac Serial cable and a standard 9 pin null modem cable?

wove (Profile)

Posted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:02 pm

The difference between a regular serial cable and a null modem cable is that there are reversed wires on the null modem cable. It is somewhat similar to the difference between a standard phone cable and a phone handset cable.

When Apple introduced the round serial cable connector they added the ability for auto negotiating the connection, so for local talk it would make no difference if you used a null modem cable or a standard serial cable.

The only null modem cables with the round Mac connector I have ever seen are the cables that were used to connect a Mac to a serial switch box.

bill

Topic Tools

Start New Topic in this folder.

© 2010 System7Today.com.
The Apple Logo, Macintosh™, Mac OS™, and others property of Apple Computer, Inc.
This site is in no way affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc.