Home | SearchFAQ You are not logged in: Register | Log In

Please Read:
An important message from System 7 Today founder Dan Palka

Topic: Accessing network shares (Page 1 of 1)
  ravendove (Profile)
  4 MB

Posted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:16 pm

So, I'm running a Performa 631CD with System 7.5.1 and a Powerbook G3 with OS 8.1. Both machines have working ethernet cards and I've gotten both successfully browsing the internet. Neither has USB.

My network has a MyBook Live network attached storage drive formatted with NTFS sharing a public folder that allows anonymous access ( meaning no username or password required). That drive supports FTP.

Other than that, I've got all Android or Windows 7 machines.

What are the chances I'm going to be able to transfer files back and forth between that network drive and those systems? I'm going to work on this tomorrow, so if I figure it out before I get a response, I'll post how I did it for others to use.

Thanks guys,
Sean

feeef (Profile)
  64 MB

Posted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:38 pm

Hi Ravendove,

I would say that the easiest is to use FTP . I do a lot of file transfer between my PM9500 (system 7.6) and my iMac intel (OSX 10.6).

I use Transmit. It is a very cool FTP client that works on system 7 and has cool features like synchronizing folders.

Here is a link to Transmit

ravendove (Profile)
  4 MB

Posted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:17 pm

Thanks for the advice, Feef! I figured FTP was going to be the way to go. At first I couldn't connect but it turned out I needed to create a user on the MyBook and give it access rights. Not sure why it wouldn't let me connect anonymously. After I confirmed I could connect to the FTP share from IE5, I installed Transmit from the link you provided and now I'm a happy guy. Thanks for that. You're the best!

Sean

feeef (Profile)
  64 MB

Posted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:56 am

You're welcome!

Transmit is a very cool software. The way I work with it is : I create a folder for everything I want to upload to the network and another one with everything I want to get from the network. I do the same on the remote computer and I use the synchronize feature of Transmit (File -> Synchronize) to easily send and get or mirror my files in a click.

Just a little tip! Wink

BigMac24 (Profile)
  4 MB

Posted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:36 pm

Beat me to it feeet

feeef (Profile)
  64 MB

Posted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:14 pm

Hi guys,

I have found a way to setup AppleShare on Snow Leopard to make it work with System 7. It should also work with earlier systems.

It is much better than FTP! Smile

I did a post on how to do it!

http://forums.system7today.com.....php?p=9794

Topic Tools

Start New Topic in this folder.

© 2010 System7Today.com.
The Apple Logo, Macintosh™, Mac OS™, and others property of Apple Computer, Inc.
This site is in no way affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc.