Home | SearchFAQ You are not logged in: Register | Log In

Please Read:
An important message from System 7 Today founder Dan Palka

Topic: Best 7.6 .1 system??? (Page 1 of 2)
Post ReplyGo to page 1, 2  Next
  sierraredd (Profile)
  128 MB

Posted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 2:37 am

Due to my recent powerbook 1400 success, I was wondering what the best mac for 7.6.1 is? This would include original configurations and totally tricked out ones as well. I'm thinking of replacing the dead weight of the performa 6200 I have, it still runs good and works but other than a typewriter that plays solitaire, it's useless. My mini sits on its monitor. let me know, thanks.

niki

dpaanlka (Profile)
  1024 MB

Posted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 2:43 am

The Power Macintosh 8600 would be my vote.

The 9600 series can take more RAM and 2 more PCI slots (has 3 more physical slots, but at least one has to be used for Video at all times, unlike the 8600), but doesn't have A/V input equipment, nor internal video, and is otherwise identical.

The fastest 8600 is 300mhz. The fastest 9600 is 350mhz. Both take the same G3 upgrades, up to 500mhz from Sonnet.

douglas (Profile)
  32 MB

Posted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 9:38 pm

Hello!

Doesn't sonnett have a G4 1GHZ upgrade that would work in this machine under 7.6.1? Seems like this would be the "ULTIMATE" 8600/9600 upgrade!!! Check here...

http://www.sonnettech.com/prod.....o_pci.html

Douglas

Smile

dpaanlka (Profile)
  1024 MB

Posted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 10:38 pm

douglas wrote:

Doesn't sonnett have a G4 1GHZ upgrade that would work in this machine under 7.6.1?

That would be a waste as so far we have no confirmation that AltiVec can be made to work with Mac OS 7.6.1. If it were a 1ghz G3, that would be awesome, but you're paying for a G4. It probably *would* boot, but only treat your very expensive G4 as a G3. I am planning on buying one of these, and seeing if I can work out any sort of hacks to get AltiVec working, but so far it has never been done and is most likely not possible.

douglas (Profile)
  32 MB

Posted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 11:32 am

Hello!

I agree that the G4 Altivec aspect of the chip would be a waste, but the additional 500 MHZ certainly would not be wasted. So if "money were not an object" then I still think that the G4 upgrade would still be the "ultimate" upgrade due to the clock speed, NOT the fact that is is using the Altivec commands.

Douglas

Smile

Ssmikulas (Profile)
  4 MB

Posted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 5:50 pm

Hi,
you can get a PowerLogix G3/900 & G3/1MGz for the PowerMac
73xx - 96xx (and Clones).
The 900 is being discontinued (they're selling them off 'till they run out, but the G3/1MGz is still listed as current-available (US$199) on
OWC site.
Hope that it helps.

PS: I have - IIci, AIO/G3, PowerBase (w/h G3 upgrade), PowerCenter Pro (G3/500) and 2 iMacs. All my Computers are seriously Upgraded.
You can ask me anything about those.
I bought THE IIci ORIGINAL, NEW, for $6400 (in '81, this was w/h bussiness discount-and also this was in Canada)

Cheers, Star

Topic Tools

Start New Topic in this folder.
Go to page 1, 2  Next

© 2010 System7Today.com.
The Apple Logo, Macintosh™, Mac OS™, and others property of Apple Computer, Inc.
This site is in no way affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc.