Home | SearchFAQ You are not logged in: Register | Log In

Please Read:
An important message from System 7 Today founder Dan Palka

Topic: Greetings from a new member (and a Q) (Page 1 of 1)
  yjchoi17 (Profile)
  8 MB

Posted: Thu May 01, 2014 9:55 am

Hi all,

I've been watching this site for a while, but I didn't really get active since I was on OS 9.1 on my vintage macs. (TAM, PB 2400c, PB 1400cs)

While I will always stay at 9.1 for the TAM (to use iTunes), I thought about going back to System 7.6.1 on the PowerBooks since 9.1 was plain slow without much added functionalities compared to 7.6.1.

Well, today I finally pulled the trigger on the 1400cs. I formatted the HDD and installed 7.6.1 along with all the stuff recommended on this site. One word to explain the results: AWESOME! I can't believe how flawless this site works on a near 20-year-old machine!

Since the 1400cs has such a nice keyboard, I use it as a "brainstorming machine" where I would jot down ideas and email it over to my Evernote account, which will then be worked on a modern Mac. However, I can't set up my email account right on Netscape 4.8. I think it has to do with port numbers which on 9.1 were manually configured in Outlook, but that Netscape 4.8 doesn't allow such manual settings.

So, long question short: What is the best email client for 7.6.1? Sadly, Netscape 4.8 doesn't work for me.

yjchoi17 (Profile)
  8 MB

Posted: Thu May 01, 2014 8:59 pm

I downloaded Eudora 4.3.3 but that also didn't work with email servers that require SSL.

This isn't fun Sad

yjchoi17 (Profile)
  8 MB

Posted: Thu May 01, 2014 9:41 pm

Well, I found this page (http://www.applefool.com/se30/) while doing some research. Looks like there is no real way to use email clients on 7.6.1. I know Outlook 5.0.6 works since that's what I've been using on 9.1, but "officially" the lowest it can go is 8.1.

I'm gonna try "forcing" Outlook 5.0.6 on 7.6.1 and see how that goes. After all, Netscape 4.8 wasn't supposed to work on 7.6.1, right?

NathanHill (Profile)
  4 MB

Posted: Fri May 02, 2014 10:29 am

This is good to know. I've contemplated setting up an email account for my daughter to practice sending messages to her grandfather, but I'm not going to bother if it is a pain to configure/find a working client. She's really too young anyway.

Update us if you find a working solution.

yjchoi17 (Profile)
  8 MB

Posted: Fri May 02, 2014 10:43 am

Well, I tried Outlook 5.0.6, my last hope. It asked for Mac OS 8.1 the minute I launched it. Therefore, I can confirm that there is no working email client for Mac OS 7.6.1. For me, that's the end of the road for Mac 7.6.1. I'm going to 8.1.

feeef (Profile)
  64 MB

Posted: Sat May 03, 2014 4:47 pm

I didn't try them but here are 2 email clients that work on 7 :

Claris Emailer

Green Mail

Topic Tools

Start New Topic in this folder.

© 2010 System7Today.com.
The Apple Logo, Macintosh™, Mac OS™, and others property of Apple Computer, Inc.
This site is in no way affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc.