Home | SearchFAQ You are not logged in: Register | Log In

Please Read:
An important message from System 7 Today founder Dan Palka

Topic: HELP! Beginer on Macintosh SE FDHD (Page 1 of 1)
  bumfilur (Profile)
  1 MB

Posted: Mon May 26, 2014 2:39 pm

Hi, Im new to vintage computers and i just received my Macintosh SE FDHD/SuperDrive and it worked completely fine until i played a game that frozed it so i needed to cut the power and when it started up again a floppy disk with a flashing question mark on it. And i have read that if i wanna fix it i need to put a program called Disk Tools on a floppy disk and boot, but when i boot on it it says in a window "Welcome to Macintosh" and it flashes and doesn't boot. i tried download it from many different websites but it didn't work. Then i tried to boot in system 6.0.8 but it just eject the disk and it could be because of the way i do it i download the 6.0.8 System Startup image and i mount it i drag everything from it over to my HFS formatted 1.44MB floppy drive and then i put it in the computer and it just eject it and i know i can just re-install the os but i don't wanna lose my documents and the language (Danish/Dansk) on it because i can't find the same language on the internet i found it on one website where every language was but when i clicked on Dansk OS 6.0.8 it says access denied so i really don't know what to do and I'm really sad. I also saw one that had a box on-top of his Macintosh SE FDHD/SuperDrive and it said on it System Saver SE his mac frozed and then he clicked the button and it restarted without getting damaged so i really want one if i get my mac up and running again.

- bumfilur

feeef (Profile)
  64 MB

Posted: Wed May 28, 2014 4:29 pm

Hi Bumfilur,

When a mac freezes, it should restart with no problem without the need of having any specific software on it. Something else happened to your mac I believe. Maybe the hard drive broke and it is why the computer froze. Hopefully it is nothing to do with the motherboard. Some people say that those old macs need to have capacitors replacement on the motherboard when they don't behave correctly. Unfortunately, my knowledge in hardware is not good enough to tell you if it is the case for your mac. You may look at your motherboard and check that everything looks clean on it.

If disk tool won't boot, it is maybe because the floppy is damaged or the system is not correctly installed on the floppy. What I suggest is that, if you know another vintage mac, you find a working floppy, you get a disk image of the Disk Tools floppy and you write it on your floppy with Disk Copy (every old mac with system 7, 8 or 9 should have this little software by default).

I hope that helps!

Topic Tools

Start New Topic in this folder.

© 2010 System7Today.com.
The Apple Logo, Macintosh™, Mac OS™, and others property of Apple Computer, Inc.
This site is in no way affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc.