Home | SearchFAQ You are not logged in: Register | Log In

Please Read:
An important message from System 7 Today founder Dan Palka

Topic: System 7 Info (Page 1 of 2)
Post ReplyGo to page 1, 2  Next
  Gschultz (Profile)
  1 MB

Posted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:02 pm

Hi All, I'm Gerry and started using Apple computers with the Apple IIe. Anyway, I've started collecting classic Macs. I presently have two LC 475s (one with an Apple IIe card) and an SE/30. All have System 7.5.3 on them. I bought a copy of the System 7.5 Missing manual and have been reading it to understand how System 7 works.
The problem is I need a basic tutorial on how the Mac OS works, what's in the System Folder and how it relates to what I find as I poke around.
I've purchased SCSI external HDs and enclosures as one thing I would like to do is repartition the HD in the 475 to put a ProDOS partition on it for the IIe card. I also want to hook these Macs to my network and brouse the internet but I have no idea how to do that or what control panels are needed to make it work. I have an ethernet card in one 475 and the SE/30. For the second 475 with the IIe card I bought a SCSI ethernet I/F but haven't connected it yet. I want to learn more before I start installing things and blow something up. Obviously, the first thing I need to do is back up the system drives so I can recover if needed. I also bought some Appletalk adapters and cables to play with that as well.

FYI, I own a late 2008 Mac Pro, a 2007 Mackbook Pro, and a late 2013 15" MBP with Retina display, 16 GBs of RAM and a 1 TB SSD. That MBP is amazing. I hit the power button and 15 seconds later I'm at the login prompt. The Mac Pro doesn't boot that fast with an SSD system drive.

Anyway, thank you for your help and i look forward to learning more about System 7.

Thanks,
Gerry

feeef (Profile)
  64 MB

Posted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:18 am

Hi Gerry,

If you want to setup your network for the internet and your mac is on a local (home) network, I suppose you have an ethernet router. What you have to do is open your TCP-IP control panel and choose the DHCP option. Your router should give an IP address to your mac.

For file sharing between your old and modern macs, it is a lot more complicated. I have just managed to setup file sharing between my system 7 and Mavericks macs. I plan to do a "how to" in order to explain what I have done.

The quick explanation is : I have setup a NFS share on Mavericks and I mount this share on a debian virtual machine with virtual box. This virtual machine runs netatalk and share this NFS mount.

As soon as I have done the "how to", I will let you know!

If you want to learn more about system 7, I suggest you go to 68kmla. It is a forum with a lot of users. Most of them are very familiar with system 7. I should post the "how to" there anyway!

wove (Profile)

Posted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 1:39 pm

Dan has created some tutorials for connecting System 7 to Mac OS X. They are available in the Help Center. The link is available at the bottom of each System 7 Today web page.

I do not use System 7 on the internet anymore and actually I do not keep any system 7 machine networked anymore. Most newer creation is done for direct placement on the network and for me it simply works easier to use newer systems that are focused on that work flow.

For print projects I can still use CorelDraw, but I have ran out of printers that work any more. And I find Pages quite effective for recent print oriented work. Overall I think advances in page layout, drawing and word processing have been pretty slight since System 7 days. Databases, multimedia, and web authoring have advance a great deal since System 7.

Overall I think a person needs to evaluate their own usage needs to determine if the effort to use System 7 machines in a modern environment is worthwhile. Keeping in mind of course that System 7 setups continue to be as effective in their own software environment as they always have been.

bill

feeef (Profile)
  64 MB

Posted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:43 am

Thanks for the feedback Bill!

However, the tutorial on the help center is a bit old now, and sharing files between system 7 and 10.9 can be very tricky.

I don't use system 7 to browse the internet neither but I still use my 9500 (system 7.6) a lot for drawing and animating. Computer graphics was what made those macs so amazing at the time, in my opinion. I use the 9500 along with a Mac Pro (10.9). When I create a new animation and work with both machines, I don't want to spend time transferring or moving files. Also, everything I do with the 9500 is stored and backed up with the Mac Pro.
it is why, in my case, a good file sharing between those machines is very important.

Here is an example of what I do with both macs. The drawings/2D animations are made on the 9500 and the 3D compositing is made on the Mac Pro.

wove (Profile)

Posted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:43 am

Very nice work, thank you for sharing that.

The PCI Macs were solid productive machine. We knew they use to do a good days work and it is nice to see that some still are being used for good work.

You mentioned using Netatalk on a Debian box and I was wondering about the state of Netatalk on OS X. It was available and working for some time. It was a BSD project and most projects on BSD sort of never die.

Thanks again for sharing your work. I look forward to your tutorial on networking.

bill

feeef (Profile)
  64 MB

Posted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:22 am

Thanks Bill !

Well, Netatalk looks broken on Mavericks. I haven't been able to install it. I tried with MacPorts and I also tried to build it from source. I had no success.

I hope the people at MacPorts will make it work again at some point because it is an amazing software for us still using old macs.

Here is the link to the "how to" that I posted on 68kmla.org : https://68kmla.org/forums/index.php?/topic/23381-appleshare-between-classic-and-mavericks-another-way/

Topic Tools

Start New Topic in this folder.
Go to page 1, 2  Next

© 2010 System7Today.com.
The Apple Logo, Macintosh™, Mac OS™, and others property of Apple Computer, Inc.
This site is in no way affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc.