Home | SearchFAQ You are not logged in: Register | Log In

Please Read:
An important message from System 7 Today founder Dan Palka

Topic: System 7 CD to Floppy (Page 1 of 1)
  steveabraham (Profile)
  1 MB

Posted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:13 am

Hello all,

After a long time searching for a good machine, I've finally picked up a Color Classic again.

It has 7.1 installed on it and I'm quite keen to get it up to 7.6.1. I'm planning to add an ethernet card/etc, so I gather 7.6.1 probably makes life easier in that regard.

I've nabbed a 7.6 CD off eBay in the hope that I can extract the files needed from that CD and create the necessary floppies that would work on the CC.

I'm in the UK, so my options for obtaining non-US OS software is very limited.

I also can't seem to get my hands on a SCSI CD drive, so I think that option is out too.

Any advice/input greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,
Steve.

feeef (Profile)
  64 MB

Posted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:01 pm

Hi Steve,

I had the same problem a couple of weeks ago to install system 7.5 on my LC III.

The solution for me was with another mac that runs the classic mac os.

On the other mac (a PM 9500) I have downloaded the Apple Legacy Recovery CD from here

The LC III didn't have an ethernet card at the time so I took the hard drive from the LC III, put it on the 9500 and copied the floppy images of the system I wanted to install on the LC III.

Then, I put back the hard drive to the LC III.

The tricky thing was to find a floppy to make a bootable disk for the LC III. I needed that in order to erase the previous system and install the new one. I managed to find a floppy that wasn't too damaged and I made it bootable by copying an image of a bootable floppy (system 7.1) from the Legacy recovery CD. I used diskcopy on the 9500 for that.

The rest was straight forward. I have just started the LC III from the floppy, I erased everything but the system install images from the hard drive and installed the system.

I hope this can help you!

jasmine12 (Profile)
  1 MB

Posted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:19 am

The PCI Macs were solid productive machine. We knew they use to do a good days work and it is nice to see that some still are being used for good work.

feeef (Profile)
  64 MB

Posted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:21 am

Thanks Jasmine!

You know, I still use the 9500 almost everyday. It has a wacom graphics tablet and is a perfect computer for making digital drawings. Still as good as modern computers for that matter. With a G4 upgrade, system 7 is a dream! Smile

Topic Tools

Start New Topic in this folder.

© 2010 System7Today.com.
The Apple Logo, Macintosh™, Mac OS™, and others property of Apple Computer, Inc.
This site is in no way affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc.