Home | SearchFAQ You are not logged in: Register | Log In

Please Read:
An important message from System 7 Today founder Dan Palka

Topic: Mac OS 7.6.1 on Certain Power Macs (Page 2 of 3)
Post ReplyGo to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
  dpaanlka (Profile)
  1024 MB

Posted: Mon May 01, 2006 9:21 pm

mitchlynn91 wrote:

I'm buying myself a 1400cs, anyway one thing a saw was that the supported OS is 8.0 through to 9.1, please tell me I can get OS7? Crying or Very sad

I was pretty sure that it could... I'm going to try anyway, it was released in 97/98 and so I am guessing that it would require a 7.6.1 install CD, anyway short of buying a copy from Apple which I don't necessarily want to do, would anyone be able to send my a copy of OS7.6.1 if they can even just to try.

But there's something to look into, wether or not the 1400cs can take OS7.6.1

Yes, the 1400 supports 7.6.1, as well as 7.6 and 7.5.x. The machines listed above do not support anything less than 7.6.1.

Every PowerPC Mac ever made before the G3 can run Mac OS 7.6.1.

mitchlynn91 (Profile)
  8 MB

Posted: Tue May 02, 2006 12:25 am

I know that, I am getting the 1400cs machine, which whilst I know every pre-G3 PPC Mac can support 7.6.1, this is not what Apple tells you for the 1400CS... so I imagine for this particular model you would need a direct install of OS7.6.1... Apple states that the lowest supported version of the Mac Os for the 14000cs is OS8.0... which I'm sure is wrong, but eh...

dpaanlka (Profile)
  1024 MB

Posted: Tue May 02, 2006 1:37 am

That's just a typo then. All 1400s support 7.5.x and up. They're all identical, with just different processors and screen qualities.

mitchlynn91 (Profile)
  8 MB

Posted: Tue May 02, 2006 1:44 am

Ah yes, Excellent...

As long as nothing goes wrong I'll be getting a Powerbook 1400cs with 32MB RAM and the 166Mhz model with a PCMIA ethernet card for AU$50.

mitchlynn91 (Profile)
  8 MB

Posted: Tue May 02, 2006 3:01 am

Well I was looking at a G3PB, it was just within my boundaries, then I saw an ad for a 1400 and I figured it could do what I needed it to do and also, I've known about this site for... I don't know - I've lost track, but I figured that if I ran OS7 on it I would have a pretty decent machine. So nothing is final yet, but I'm hopeful and anxious at the same time. It's coming with 32MB RAM and a 1GB HD, if I find a cheap G3 card on eBay (>$100) I'll probably consider it, but I think it should be pretty decent as is. Does anyone know what sort of battery it takes, all possible details, I work with delicate electronics a fair bit, and if I can re-pack the battery myself I would like to. Also, does anyone know where the benchmarks have gone from the site? I waited months for them, then they came - and now they're gone...[/i]

jens (Profile)
  64 MB

Posted: Tue May 02, 2006 4:38 pm

dpaanlka wrote:

The machines listed above do not support anything less than 7.6.1.

The 4400 shipped with 7.5.

Topic Tools

Start New Topic in this folder.
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

© 2010 System7Today.com.
The Apple Logo, Macintosh™, Mac OS™, and others property of Apple Computer, Inc.
This site is in no way affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc.