Home | SearchFAQ You are not logged in: Register | Log In

Please Read:
An important message from System 7 Today founder Dan Palka

Topic: New, with Old World Mac Questions (Page 1 of 1)
  sheich (Profile)
  2 MB

Posted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:12 pm

Hi everyone!

First I would like to say I am happy to see that there is still an active group of people dedicated to old Apple technology! It's unusual to see a particular group like this, so thank you! I have a few "old" macs, including a Powerbook 540, two iBooks and the slot-loading iMac G3 that I've collected over the past several years. I've played around with these some, but I would like to ask if there is a particular Old World Mac running System 7 that you all would recommend as being particularly powerful. What machine could potentially sort of handle 2014? I don't obviously expect to run modern software (I have a Thinkpad for that) on it, but I'm intrigued by getting a speedy system by using an older, less resource-intense Mac operating system. Are the old pre-G3 Power Macs the best? Thank you for your opinions, and I'm glad to be here!

-sheich

feeef (Profile)
  64 MB

Posted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:48 am

Hi sheich,

I would say that the most powerful system 7 macs are the PCI powermacs with a fast G4 upgrade card. (7500, 8500, 9500, 7600, 8600, 9600).

I have myself a 9500 with a 700MHz G4 upgrade and it is very fast with system 7.6.

I have just posted a message on 68kmla.org saying that I still use this computer a lot for my drawings and animation and works very well for that. Here

System 7 was not made at the time of the internet so don't expect having a good internet machine with system 7 but for everything else creative, I would say that it is still very good.

feeef (Profile)
  64 MB

Posted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:03 am

I would add that this utility makes the use of the system 7 finder a real pleasure!

This one is Launchpad for classic MacOS. You can even bring it to the front by setting a function key.

I always use both of them.

TheEisenfaust (Profile)
  8 MB

Posted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:36 pm

In my opinion, power doesn't really mean much when you're running System 7. I could be running it on a Macintosh SE or a Power Mac 9600 and it'd still be System 7. I personally use a Power Macintosh 6500 as my daily driver. It's got a Crescendo G3 400 MHz card as well as an ethernet card in it. Runs System 7 terrific, and I can browse the internet with little trouble thanks to the System 7 Today build of Netscape Navigator. I'd recommend bagging a Power PC-era Mac as you'll find more applications available for PPC than 68K. You don't have to go for one that has a ton of upgrades, just one that has a decent amount of RAM, decent hard drive, and at least a spot to plug in an ethernet upgrade card, and you're good! Good hunting, and welcome to System 7 Today sheich!

anonymouse (Profile)
  2 MB

Posted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 4:09 pm

Hi sheich,

I have so many old macs I have lost count. Regrettably my family made me put a lot of them on the garden wall.
I still have a couple of 8600's and a couple of 9600's and a G4 PCI
Like a lot of people I upgrade using sonnette G4 upgrades.
I have two in my 9600 and 8600. I also have one in my 6500 and another in my G4 PCI.
My pride and joy is a 9600 running os 7.6 with 1.5 gig of ram and a 120 Gig hard drive running off an IDE drive on a card. I had been running is on a ultra SCSI drive but the card or drive gave up.

I know this is an OS7 forum but I do like my PCI G4 because it runs OS8.6 and OS X as well.

Topic Tools

Start New Topic in this folder.

© 2010 System7Today.com.
The Apple Logo, Macintosh™, Mac OS™, and others property of Apple Computer, Inc.
This site is in no way affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc.