Home | SearchFAQ You are not logged in: Register | Log In

Please Read:
An important message from System 7 Today founder Dan Palka

Topic: Claris Works vs Microsoft Office (Page 1 of 1)
  sheich (Profile)
  2 MB

Posted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:29 pm

Hi all!

I'm sure this question has been asked a million times, but in your opinion, which is better, Claris Works or Microsoft Office? Or better yet, what is the best office suite for System 7? On eBay someone is selling Claris Works 4.0 Internet Edition for 12.99 brand new. Microsoft Office 98 isn't expensive either. What would you all recommend? Thanks for your input!

-sheich

feeef (Profile)
  64 MB

Posted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:53 am

I have to say that I have no idea at all! I think both have their strengths and their weaknesses. I never really used them but they look like having almost the same features.

I would say claris works just because I like claris draw...

ovalking (Profile)
  32 MB

Posted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:06 am

In short, I'd say Clarisworks for the efficiency or Office for the file compatibility. But it really depends on what you want to do, and what tools you have already. Why not get anything that comes up cheap and try them for yourself?

I've got Clarisworks 2, Appleworks 5, Office 3,4 & 98.

I do a lot of spreadsheet work. I prefer to use Excel 4 (office 3). It's efficient and seems to work reliably with system 7 (not so good with OS9 though).
Some annoying problems with short-cut keys put me off later versions.
I use Excel 98 for html file conversion.

The stupid Office 98 helper thing is really annoying.

I rarely do word processing but tend to use ClarisWorks, or BBEdit for plain text. Word is too sluggish.

The drawing/graphics of ClarisWorks & Powerpoint are ok, but you'd use something dedicated for serious stuff.

ClarisWorks also has a simple database module, but it's of little value if you already have Filemaker Pro.

The biggest benefit of Office 98 is to open files created by other Office (98 or earlier) users.

wove (Profile)

Posted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 1:54 pm

I am a huge fan of Clarisworks. I used the draw module to make thousands of sales cards for retail and hundreds of store banners. I used it to write customer letters, create customer databases, inventory databases. The spreadsheet module tracked sales, and wages and commissions.

I used its telecom module to connect to compuserve and genie back before the internet grew up. I believe that Clarisworks 3 was the zenith of its development. It morphed a bit from there, but most of the changes were more cosmetic than substantial. Certainly in the late 80s it was as fine as any any general purpose software available.

I never understood the MS Office suite. It seemed very hard to use in my opinion. And the more complex and difficult it became the more people seem to feel it was the gold standard of productivity. Mark Twain enthralled the world with just pen and paper, while the average office memo seems to require a person with schooling and complex, expensive hardware and software to confuse and bore their readers.

Clarisworks was designed to empower individual users, while MS Office is more used to fit users into an organizations workflow.

bill

cballero (Profile)
  16 MB

Posted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 4:32 pm

Using a PDF printer, you can save PDFs using any Office software.

The beauty of Clarisworks 5 is that Apple has kept file format compatibility via AppleWorks 6, which can save Pages-compatible files. It also has a Filemaker-like database built-in to manage data easily.

I also like Microsoft Office 3's size and speed on System 6.0.2 and up and is the last office for 68k Macs. Files can be saved to Office 97-200x formats as long as you install the right converters. A color toolbar can also be installed (as a separate freeware add-on) to Word 5.1a.

Both are powerful and Mac-friendly office suites. Office 98, a PowerPC-only suite, runs slower but more compatible with newer versions of Word.

As a side note, Act! 2.x CRM for Mac has a built-in letter writer that also integrates with word 6 (not a very popular version) but for the last Mac version, 2.8, the maker states you can you have a choice of word processor. Users do confirm that letter merging doesn't not work with newer versions of Word. Although not an office suite per say, it does a few office-related tasks that includes some database-merged word-processing magic. Version 2.8 may be harder to find, though.

Topic Tools

Start New Topic in this folder.

© 2010 System7Today.com.
The Apple Logo, Macintosh™, Mac OS™, and others property of Apple Computer, Inc.
This site is in no way affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc.