Home | SearchFAQ You are not logged in: Register | Log In

Please Read:
An important message from System 7 Today founder Dan Palka

Topic: Macintosh TV SCSI Problem (Page 1 of 1)
  nanopico (Profile)
  2 MB

Posted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 12:22 pm

I have an old Macintosh TV (and I happen to be the original owner at that).
This machine worked wonderfully up until about a year ago and I am just now getting to try to fix it.

The computer will turn on but fail to find the hard drive. The CD-ROM drive is detected and it will attempt to boot off the original install media that came with it, but because the disc is so scratched it fails to boot. If I pull the drive out and put it in an external enclosure and hook this up the computer boots off the drive just fine externally. When the drive is internal it I can hear it spin up, but it is never found.
The disc setup utility on the install media can not find the internal drive once booted from external SCSI.
So the drive is good, the scsi controller is fine as the internal CD-ROM works. I suspect that it may just be a lose cable internally.

Does any one have any advice on what to look for once I open this up?

feeef (Profile)
  64 MB

Posted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 12:42 pm

Hi,

I am not an expert in hardware but you should try to check your cables internally and try to see if all the cables are well connected.

The second thing I would do is a PRAM reset. I think you have to press Command-Option-P-R as soon as you hear the startup sound.

There may be something wrong with the internal scsi controller inside the mac. You should try to connect your hard drive where you internal CD rom is connected to see if it works with this connection. If it works, you may have something going wrong in your motherboard. Maybe a capacitor...?

I hope that helps!

nanopico (Profile)
  2 MB

Posted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:03 am

I'm not really sure why it works again, but it does.
I plugged the drive back internally and it booted right up.

feeef (Profile)
  64 MB

Posted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 2:40 pm

Great! Smile

It was maybe dusty or not well plugged the first time.

Have fun with your macintosh TV! Smile

Topic Tools

Start New Topic in this folder.

© 2010 System7Today.com.
The Apple Logo, Macintosh™, Mac OS™, and others property of Apple Computer, Inc.
This site is in no way affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc.