Home | SearchFAQ You are not logged in: Register | Log In

Please Read:
An important message from System 7 Today founder Dan Palka

Topic: What happened to my files? (Page 1 of 1)
  stevefury (Profile)
  1 MB

Posted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 6:41 pm

Mac Classic
System 7.0
115mb HD 4mb RAM

I got the unit out of a 15 year storage. Some of the numerous programs I installed back then wasn't working so I did a manual disk clean up.

Basically, if a program such as a game didn't run (dependants not found... or the program that created it couldn't be found etc) then I trashed it.

I cleared up about 5mb of hdd space.

Today I boot it. Resident programs like the screen saver, custom sound program etc start normally at boot.

But my desktop had no icons other than the hdd and trashcan.

opening the hdd, only the system folder was present. Nothing eexcept system information available in the apple menu.

The hdd space showed 33mb available out of 115mb which is expected but why couldn't I see any applications?

I reboot and find the same thing.

I shut down and reboot and everything is working back normally. I can see the files and folders and work with the applications again.

Any idea what may have happened?

feeef (Profile)
  64 MB

Posted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 2:50 pm

It is very difficult to know what went wrong. Maybe some corrupted data within the system or system folder... What I would do, is do a backup of all the files in that hard drive and do a clean install.

themaritimeman (Profile)
  4 MB

Posted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:53 am

It's the disappearing files bug that 7.0 has. If possible, you should upgrade to 7.1.

Topic Tools

Start New Topic in this folder.

© 2010 System7Today.com.
The Apple Logo, Macintosh™, Mac OS™, and others property of Apple Computer, Inc.
This site is in no way affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc.