Home | SearchFAQ You are not logged in: Register | Log In

Please Read:
An important message from System 7 Today founder Dan Palka

Topic: How to create BOOTABLE customized CD (Page 1 of 2)
Post ReplyGo to page 1, 2  Next
  yjchoi17 (Profile)
  8 MB

Posted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:34 pm

Hi all,

I think this is my second post or something like that.

I'd like to put together a customized 7.6.1 CD that has the System Software Installer, Patched versions of Disk Tools (so that I can format non-Apple HDD's), Software Installers of the stuff listed here in the Software Guide, etc.

I have all the components and Toast 5.2.3 (IIRC) on a Pismo (9.2.2) that has a burner. I know toast 5.2.3 has the option to "make disk bootable" and was successful in making customized OS 9 boot CD's out of this setup, but that didn't work with 7.6.1.

Any help would be deeply appreciated.

Young

wove (Profile)

Posted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:30 am

You do not say where you are running into problems. Is the disk you are making not bootable, or does the disk boot, but not install.

It is often necessary to boot from a floppy if the CD drive on the system is a non-Apple made CD Drive, since a separate driver is needed to work with the non-Apple CD Drive.

Many of the utilities for installing 7.6.1 are located right here on the System7Today site. Look through the guides and tutorials.

I found this pdf on creating bootable CDs with Toast here: <http://www.zone6400.com/readerhelp/Tom_Toast_Bootable_CD.pdf>

bill

yjchoi17 (Profile)
  8 MB

Posted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 3:45 am

wove wrote:

You do not say where you are running into problems. Is the disk you are making not bootable, or does the disk boot, but not install.

The issues is with the CD not being able to boot. I can install off that CD if the machine is booted using a different startup disc. Anyways, thanks for the link, I'll have a try with that.

yjchoi17 (Profile)
  8 MB

Posted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 3:51 am

yjchoi17 wrote:

The issues is with the CD not being able to boot. I can install off that CD if the machine is booted using a different startup disc. Anyways, thanks for the link, I'll have a try with that.

Having a look at the PDF, that's what I've been doing. The method seems to work when creating a 9.x bootable CD, but not for 7.6.1.

wove (Profile)

Posted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:17 am

System 7 can be very fussy about booting from a CD. Many machine that can run System 7 did not come with CDs. Apple's CD drivers at that point generally only supported Apple branded CDs. If I recall there were troubles with CD-r since it was something of a new format.

In any event it is not surprising you are running into difficulty creating a bootable CD-r system installer. I had replaced the CD in my old Quadra 840 with a CD burner and the CD burner never worked for booting the Quadra.

You might wish to see how BeOS was handling booting. As I recall their installer came with a floppy, which would boot, activate the CD and you could install from their. You may need to do similar. Create a boot floppy that includes proper CD drivers, and then do the install from the CD.

There is a good deal of tricky stuff you can do. You can boot a couple Macs connected via a serial cable. Turn on Apple Talk, and install/upgrade one of the machine over AppleTalk, from a CD mounted on the other Mac. (You can also install/upgrade from a mounted disk image.)

Most of the RAM disk utilities that worked with the old Mac Laptops, also work fine on desktop Macs. Using those tools, you can create a persistent RAM disk. While you can not boot directly to a RAM Disk, you can select a RAM disk on a running system and restart into it. If the RAM disk included the utilities to needed to read you install disk, you could then do a clean install from the CD. Booting from a RAM disk allows you unmounts the hard drive, so it could be freshly formatted for a clean install if the installer CD.

It can be somewhat time consuming, but of Macs are more flexible than is generally assumed and persistence will generally create a working solution to a problem.

bill

feeef (Profile)
  64 MB

Posted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 2:46 am

In order to install system 7.5 on my LC III without a CD drive, I used my PowerMac 9500.

I put the hard drive of the LC III into the 9500, I erased it and put Disk Copy and an image of the install CD into it (hopefully your hard drive is large enough).

Then, I put back the hard drive to the LC III and I started it using a floppy (finding a bootable floppy may be tricky though!)

I opened the CD image with Disk Copy and installed from there.

When everything was installed, I removed the install image.

Topic Tools

Start New Topic in this folder.
Go to page 1, 2  Next

© 2010 System7Today.com.
The Apple Logo, Macintosh™, Mac OS™, and others property of Apple Computer, Inc.
This site is in no way affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc.