Home | SearchFAQ You are not logged in: Register | Log In

Please Read:
An important message from System 7 Today founder Dan Palka

Topic: Identify PowerBook drive (Page 1 of 1)
  DerekLewis (Profile)
  16 MB

Posted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 3:29 pm

Hello,

I have a hard drive from an old color PowerBook that I want to interface with my Mac IIci to use as an external drive. It is a 2.5" IBM drive though I am not sure if it is an IDE or some flavor of SCSI. The drive is dated 1992 if that helps to ID it.

If it is an IDE, can it be interfaced with a SCSI cable?

feeef (Profile)
  64 MB

Posted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 4:15 pm

If it is a 68k based powerbook, it should be an SCSI drive. Otherwise I guess it will be an IDE drive.

There is a website, here, that publishes all the specs of every powerbooks (and Macs).

If the hard drive has an IDE interface, you will need an adapter to connect to the Mac IIci. If you search on websites like ebay, you should be able to find one.

DerekLewis (Profile)
  16 MB

Posted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:28 am

Okay,

I was able to find some specifications for that particular drive, and I need a 40-pin SCSI interface internal to a DB-25 or 68 pin external cable.

Still searching for anything with 40 pin SCSI.

feeef (Profile)
  64 MB

Posted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 7:30 am

Usually old macs had a 50-pin SCSI internal drive. are you sure your 40-pin drive is not IDE?

If you happen to find a 50-pin SCSI drive, you may have to search for an external SCSI disk or CD case. IIRC, the apple CD 300e external drive case used a 50-pin connector and was sold with a DB-25 connection cable. That would be a possible interface.

DerekLewis (Profile)
  16 MB

Posted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:10 pm

The pin-out looks a lot like an IDE although the markings correspond to a SCSI-1. I have made progress on finding an interface for it; an article on the lowendmac site provided the solution.

ovalking (Profile)
  32 MB

Posted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 4:22 pm

I've got the opposite problem to the OP, a Powerbook, but no HD...
I believe Apple started using IDE in 1994 (630 series, PB150) so 1992 will be SCSI.
The pinout on these old 2.5" SCSI Powerbook drives is not the same as a standard 3.5" drive, hence the confusion. The power connection is the main difference.

I assume you have found http://vintagemacmuseum.com/re.....rd-drives/

Topic Tools

Start New Topic in this folder.

© 2010 System7Today.com.
The Apple Logo, Macintosh™, Mac OS™, and others property of Apple Computer, Inc.
This site is in no way affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc.