Home | SearchFAQ You are not logged in: Register | Log In

Please Read:
An important message from System 7 Today founder Dan Palka

Topic: What version of System 7 for this Mac? (Page 1 of 1)
  themaritimeman (Profile)
  4 MB

Posted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:47 pm

Hi all,

I own an LC III which has the RAM maxed out at 36 MB and the 80 MB hard disk. I'm trying to determine what would be the best version of System 7 to put on this. Normally the CPU and RAM are the determining factors for this, but I'm fine on both of those fronts. For me hard disk space is of concern, since 80 MB isn't a lot to work with, and I want to make sure I leave enough for whatever extra software I choose to install in the future.

So I'm curious, what version of System 7 would you guys personally install on a machine with a 68030, 36 MB of RAM and an 80 MB hard disk?

For what it's worth, I've tested a few versions on this machine. 7.1 uses 3.3 MB of hard disk space, 7.1.1 with the PowerTalk stuff removed uses 4.5 MB, 7.5 uses 12.9 MB, and 7.5.5 uses 25.9 MB. 7.5.3 actually used more than 7.5.5, so I won't consider it. I'm also not considering 7.6(.1) because I already have a Power Mac running 7.6.1 (I want a bit of variety), and most of 7.6's benefits are Power Mac-specific anyway.

feeef (Profile)
  64 MB

Posted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 3:25 am

I have an LC III with the exact same amount of RAM and I run System 7.1 on it. I had installed 7.5 but came back to 7.1. I am very happy with it.

I always found that a mac works best with its original OS. 7.1 being the original OS for the LC III.

themaritimeman (Profile)
  4 MB

Posted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:02 pm

Thanks for the input. I'm starting to lean towards 7.1, to be honest. Not only for the faster performance and significantly lighter hard disk footprint, but also because since this LC III is my oldest Mac, I might as well have the experience of using the oldest system software version I can on it. Also, there are some minor differences I like in 7.1 versus 7.5, such as About This Macintosh actually identifying the model, and the Simple Beep sound having its proper piano-like quality, rather than sounding like a "beep" under 7.5 (which is something that intrigues me).

There are some features I'll miss like the Control Strip, but I shouldn't be so greedy anyway, since I have several newer machines where I can have all that stuff.

gsteemso (Profile)
  8 MB

Posted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:43 pm

Isn't the Control Strip extension usable as a stand-alone install under 7.1? I may be remembering wrong, but that (like various other add-ons, none of which I currently can remember names of) I had thought could be installed on slightly older Systems.

Topic Tools

Start New Topic in this folder.

© 2010 System7Today.com.
The Apple Logo, Macintosh™, Mac OS™, and others property of Apple Computer, Inc.
This site is in no way affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc.